Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 1/18/2015 5:20:21 PM EST
Im pulling the trigger on a SLR adjustable gas block tonnight Is there any reason to like one style over the other?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:39:23 PM EST
Set screw GB are smaller and are for fitting under smaller hand guards. Clamp on style is a little more secure so that say. I've never had a set screw gas block budge after it was mounted.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:43:38 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By doubleshot00:
Set screw GB are smaller and are for fitting under smaller hand guards. Clamp on style is a little more secure so that say. I've never had a set screw gas block budge after it was mounted.
View Quote

Pretty much this.

If I am going under handguards I generally use a set screw model. When I installed a SLR on an AR10 which would reside outside the handguard, I ordered the clamp style.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:38:37 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:00:46 PM EST
If you have a dimpled barrel, the set screw type makes it essentially automatic to get the gas port aligned.

Clamp on types I would suggest for non-dimpled barrels.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:04:41 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Gamma762:
If you have a dimpled barrel, the set screw type makes it essentially automatic to get the gas port aligned.

Clamp on types I would suggest for non-dimpled barrels.
View Quote

This is my thought as well. Now that the low profile clamp on are becoming more readily available, that's exactly what I will do... Dimple gets set screw and non dimple gets clamp on.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:47:41 PM EST
Thanks Everybody
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:36:26 PM EST
A DD .625 clamp on would touch sometimes on my NSR rail. The set screw gas block from brownells fixed that issue. Any one want a $50 DD gas block? HA.

This is not a WTS.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:08:06 PM EST
For what it's worth, I've got the SLR clamp on gas block under the thin MI SSK rail on my DPMS G2 and it clears the rail just fine.

-bob
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:14:26 PM EST
Another vote for set screw types, as they can be pinned.
Top Top