Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/26/2003 3:59:54 PM EDT
I'm shopping for a DPMS forged lower and want to make sure I get a DPMS forged lower (not a cast one)
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 4:50:37 PM EDT
[#1]
if the manufacturer hasnt done a really good job of deburring, than the seam from either forging or casting will be seen. If it is cast, the seam will be thin if it is forged the seam will be about 3/16" - 1/4" wide.

-Lee
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 5:53:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Go to the Olympic Arms web page and look in their FAQ's.  They have a really nice discription of the forged/cast differences with pictures.

http://olyarms.com/usa.html
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 6:39:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I have been able to tell by looking at the rounded edges.  If you know what a forged lower looks like, a cast lower will jump out.  Check out the raised fence and the lower part of the mag well.  Look at the lettering on the side of the mag well.  Cast lowers seem to have raised lettering rather than pressed in.  This is how I have been able to tell.

mm
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 6:14:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, he's correct... the DPMS forged lower has all markings stamped in or depressed into the metal.  

The DPMS cast lowers (and the Essential Arms, which used the same mold) have raised lettering except for the serial number, which is stamped.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 3:56:01 AM EDT
[#5]
The surface seems to look rougher as well.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 4:19:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Look for a taper in the mag well.

Most cast lowers will have a slight taper in the mag well, to accomidate mold release.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top