Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/26/2006 8:32:33 PM EDT
I have a colt I'm currently trying to take off the whole buttsock.  I've got most of it apart except for the metal tube out of the receiver.  Is that typically loc tighted in?  What do I use to hold my lower receiver?  Do I just get a piece of wood and stick it in my vice and then set the lower over the wood?

I'm a total newb when it comes to putting together and taking apart and stuff.   Sorryl.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 8:38:44 PM EDT
[#1]
It may be loctited in.  You could try heating it up with a hairdryer then using a wrench on the nut that's on the buttstock end of the tube/extension.

I've never had to hold the lower in a vise for anything, but then again I've never had a stock loctited in either.    I'd just warm it as much as I could (where the threads are at the tube/receiver union, by the way) with a hairdryer and pin it to a carpeted floor with my knee while torquing on the nut with a wrench that fits it, lefty-loosey.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 5:19:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It may be loctited in.  You could try heating it up with a hairdryer then using a wrench on the nut that's on the buttstock end of the tube/extension.

I've never had to hold the lower in a vise for anything, but then again I've never had a stock loctited in either.    I'd just warm it as much as I could (where the threads are at the tube/receiver union, by the way) with a hairdryer and pin it to a carpeted floor with my knee while torquing on the nut with a wrench that fits it, lefty-loosey.  

Thanks, that makes complete sense and I'll try that.  I appreciate it.

I got it off and made a swap I wanted to.!!!!!!!!  That was fun.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:40:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you both have down synderome? Loctite? Are you high? Take it off with a crecent wrench.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:38:31 PM EDT
[#4]
IIRC, it's a 9/16 or 14mm.  

Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:27:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Do you both have down synderome? Loctite? Are you high? Take it off with a crecent wrench.  

What a pleasant person.  Proud "usmckidd" could chime in with all his/her wisdom.  If he/she were an actual Team Member here, he/she could read the archives and see that some manufacturers use blue or even red loctite (the almost permanent unless you heat it kind) thread locker on the receiver extensions and/or castle nuts of stocks.  If you try wringing something off with excess force that's been put on with red loctite, you'll do damage, most likely, especially with a big crescent wrench.  The way to get it to turn loose easier is with heat to loosen the red loctite.
www.loctiteproducts.com/repairs.asp?qfid=5&Product=154

Based on at least one post in the archives about this same thing, more than one Colt Sporter owner has had this same problem, and heating it worked.  They didn't see any signs of threadlocker afterwards, though.  The OP got it off without your help, by the way, but thanks for playing anyway.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:16:28 AM EDT
[#6]
height=8
Quoted:

Berating someone for asking a legitimate question only makes you look like a fool yourself. Grow up and treat people with respect.hould
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top