Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2015 3:19:33 PM EDT
I have this AR pistol build, I really want to use a rifle lenght A2 RE for its light weight and length.  But, I might swap upper between this pistol and SBR lowers and I want them both to be using the same spring/buffer setup.  I definately do not want to put a rifle stock on my SBR lower.   Plus, I light the shorter/lighter carbine buffers, so I don't want to use the ultor system.

Does someone make a plug made from derilin or somehitng that is the right diameter and lenght to plug a rifle tube so that you can use carbine buffer spring? I was thinking I could drill it out partially to keep the weight down.  Or perhaps I could use a sort of big plastic or aluminum spacer...

ETA: anyone know what the exact lenght shoudl be?
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 3:28:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 4:08:41 PM EDT
[#2]
found it.  $8.  derilin?  solid or hollow inside like a thick walled pipe?  Or is it pretty light weight to begin with.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=244

yes, to be clear, I am looking to use a carbine lenght buffer/spring w/ an A1/A2 rifle receiver extension, so I need some sort of plug to fill the extra space inside.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 4:57:20 PM EDT
[#3]
It's solid and it's just plastic, is not heavy.

For a light duty or experimental application you could use a 1" wood dowel, cut to the right length.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 6:22:35 PM EDT
[#4]
You should reevaluate why you want them to use the same spring and buffer.  Assuming you are not trying to get away with using just using one buffer and spring and moving it between lowers, which it doesn't sound like your are, there is only disadvantages to not using a rifle buffer and spring.  Might as well enjoy the increased reliability, lower cyclic rate, more spread out recoil impulse of a rifle system as long as you are running a rifle tube anyway.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 6:40:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You should reevaluate why you want them to use the same spring and buffer.  Assuming you are not trying to get away with using just using one buffer and spring and moving it between lowers, which it doesn't sound like your are, there is only disadvantages to not using a rifle buffer and spring.  Might as well enjoy the increased reliability, lower cyclic rate, more spread out recoil impulse of a rifle system as long as you are running a rifle tube anyway.
View Quote

the alleged more spread  out recoil impulse of a rifle is due to the longer gas system, not the buffer/spring.  A rifle buffer is heavier w/ heavier weights, about like a H3 Buffer IIRC so that would reduce the cyclic rate, all things being equal.  

this is a custom type job w/ LW parts and adj gas stystem that will be tuned for a spring/buffer.  If I don't get all uppers tuned to one spring/buffer then I need easily move my buffer/spring between lowers, hence my interest in the plug.

I had though of a dowel, but if it got wet or whatever it could be a problem, though in most all applications it would work fine admittedly and be lightweight.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:19:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Of course there are many factors, but the longer spring and lower spring force certainly are an aspect that changes the fexoild impulse.  Especially in regard to the bolt slamming back home when chambering a round.  That is what many find pulls their sights of target the most.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 3:36:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Of course there are many factors, but the longer spring and lower spring force certainly are an aspect that changes the fexoild impulse.  Especially in regard to the bolt slamming back home when chambering a round.  That is what many find pulls their sights of target the most.
View Quote

lower spring force??
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 3:43:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

the alleged more spread  out recoil impulse of a rifle is due to the longer gas system, not the buffer/spring.  A rifle buffer is heavier w/ heavier weights, about like a H3 Buffer IIRC so that would reduce the cyclic rate, all things being equal.  

this is a custom type job w/ LW parts and adj gas stystem that will be tuned for a spring/buffer.  If I don't get all uppers tuned to one spring/buffer then I need easily move my buffer/spring between lowers, hence my interest in the plug.

I had though of a dowel, but if it got wet or whatever it could be a problem, though in most all applications it would work fine admittedly and be lightweight.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or get a 1" piece of derilin and make your own?
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 3:44:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Check out Spike's tactical.  I believe they make what you are looking for.

http://www.spikestactical.com/lower-parts-spikes-stt0-buffer-spacer-p-709.html
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 3:48:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Check out Spike's tactical.  I believe they make what you are looking for.

http://www.spikestactical.com/lower-parts-spikes-stt0-buffer-spacer-p-709.html
View Quote
At $27 I would go for the $8 RRA spacer.

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 7:56:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1" ABS machinable rod, $7/foot
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-plastic-rod-stock/=vfuidl

can't seem to find derilin rod.  maybe going by anothe name.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 8:00:34 PM EDT
[#12]
anyone know what the exact length should be?
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 3:02:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:54:52 AM EDT
[#14]
I got some ABS from mcmaster, needed some other stuff too.  Sorry.

so I'll cut it and square it off on the disk grinder.  The length...

So all I need to do is subtract the length of a car RE, internally, from that of a rifle RE right?  give myself a little extra material to ensure I don't have key strike?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:30:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

So all I need to do is subtract the length of a car RE, internally, from that of a rifle RE right?  give myself a little extra material to ensure I don't have key strike?
View Quote

Considering that  a rifle extension has a threaded hole in the rear, and the carbine doesn't, I doubt that this will give the exact result you want.  But, if anything, it would give a longer result, which is fixable.

I pulled this from Brownells:

Rifle and carbine buffers for DPMS .308 style rifles
   Standard rifle buffer specs: length 5.285", weight 5.4112oz
   Carbine buffer specs: length 2.485", weight 3.808oz
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:24:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Considering that  a rifle extension has a threaded hole in the rear, and the carbine doesn't, I doubt that this will give the exact result you want.  But, if anything, it would give a longer result, which is fixable.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

right, but the carbine buffer spring goes tot he front, the rifle the rping is stood back...

of course...spring length is another matter, OAL of hte buffer is at issues, so about 2.8" would be it per those figures...  I guess I'll put a little lipstick on the lower and make sure hte gas key isn't marking it when I pull it all the way back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top