Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/15/2005 10:06:22 AM EDT
I NEED a .50! I shot one for the first time last weekend and that was all it took. I'd like to get an "Ultramag .50", a magazine fed upper for AR lowers, I have no problem using the upper on the lower of my Bushy XM15, but only for the near future, I'd like to get a lower dedicated to the BMG. Anyone make an especially beefy lower intened for .50 BMG uppers? Preferably with no mag well etc.
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 12:04:35 PM EDT
I don't know of any AR lower that the 50 upper manufactures recommend specifically for a 50, personally I don't think it matters, but SOCOM has a beefed up lower and DPMS and some others make it out of other metals such as steel or titanium.

Personally I would get a DPMS lower without a mag port, it is a single shot AR lower but it would looke nice on a ultramag 50.
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 9:09:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/15/2005 9:11:31 PM EDT by 2manytoys]
Essential Arms makes a steel lower which is intended for .50 caliber applications.I have always had excellent results with their aluminum lowers even though they are cast.
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 10:32:43 PM EDT
If you have to get a "beefy" lower for a 50 upper, then the upper was/is a piss poor design. Most of the recoil should be dissapated by the MB and the rest soaked up by the weight of the action/barrel. There should be very little to no stress on the lower reciver. Just get a regular lower and it will work. go here for 50 info www.biggerhammer.net
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 7:08:25 AM EDT
What TaylorWSO said.

But DPMS used to offer a stainless steel lower receiver. It was quite a bit heavier than the aluminum receiver and the extra weight would be appriciated on a .50 I'll bet.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 3:31:00 AM EDT
The Ultramag has very little recoil (for a .50), far less than a 12 gauge or even my M44 Mosin Nagant, but I don't like the idea of switch the lower on and off the gun all the time and I don't mind spending a few extra bucks to get one dedicated to the .50. I realize it dosen't have to suck up muck more force than if it was shooting .223, but something with some increased weight would be good. I like ronin's idea of a lower without a mag port at all.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 4:23:58 AM EDT
Quite a few are using the DPMS California lower. It is a standard AR lower but has the mag area removed and recontoured so it can only be a single shot. DPMS also makes a stainless steel lower (natural finish and black) but they are expensive and very hard to get. I have one and it is not needed for anything unless you want more weight. As the others said, if you need a special lower for the .50 BMG it is a really piss-poor designed upper. Watson Arms and Spider Ind. have been using standard lowers on their .50 BMG uppers for years without ill affect.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:14:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2005 9:36:06 PM EDT by steven1513]

Originally Posted By Big-Bore:
Quite a few are using the DPMS California lower.

+1
But don't take my word for it. The UltraMag50 and ALS manufacturers both suggest using the DPMS California aluminum lower. This is what they do for a living.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:23:34 PM EDT
i just got the 22 inch ultramag and i didn't have any trouble with the trigger changes. But I can't seem to get the "bolt hold open latch" pin out. Does anyone know if it directional? I can't get it to budge using tap methods. Any ideas? I live in california so no gun store will help me --
Top Top