Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/16/2003 9:05:55 PM EDT
I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question.

Recently I've been buying LC M193 and storing it after discovering how much I like it at the range. I realize that Federal will continue to manufacture it, but is it's availability on the civilian market consistent or does it fluctuate?

I guess what I'm asking is, is it possible that this time next year for example it might be hard to find? Prior to the past couple of months I never took note of its availability because I hadn't "discovered" it yet.

Thanks in advance for your insight and please forgive me if this is a dumb question.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 9:39:06 PM EDT
[#1]
This is purely a guess, but if a company has a  product that is in heavy demand, they will continue to make it. Barring some B.S. legislation, I think Federal will continue to make XM-193 for the public. They may make it in batches after they fulfill their Gov't orders. Shoot,thats probably how they get rid of their leftover components from the Gov't orders. Its better for a company to get inventory into the market, rather than have to store it in a warehouse.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 11:53:56 AM EDT
[#2]
They can afford to get rid of it if they want cause they sell safer American Eagle ammo FMJ.

Federal told me it was going to be a regular product however.

CRC
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 12:15:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
They can afford to get rid of it if they want cause they sell safer American Eagle ammo FMJ.

CRC
View Quote

By safer, what do you mean? .223 level pressures?
ARs and 193 were made for each other.
It's like peanut butter, and chocolate.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 2:20:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I also think it will come down to supply and demand.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 2:44:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I also think it will come down to supply and demand.
View Quote

Mostly supply. I hear they are using left over Winchester components.

CRC
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 2:45:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

CRC
View Quote

By safer, what do you mean? .223 level pressures?
ARs and 193 were made for each other.
It's like peanut butter, and chocolate.
View Quote

Yes lower pressures (supposedly).

CRC
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 11:30:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 11:49:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Thank you for your indepth reply Troy. I've been shooting mainly M193 lately with some 223 55gr Federal (American Eagle) thrown in for good measure. In light of your info I'll probably switch to 223 for range use and not shoot the M193 except for reliability testing when I get a different caselot. I bought another case yesterday bringing my M193 total up to 3500 rounds. Next month I'll buy a few more cases and continue to do so every month for the foreseeable future. Since ammo can be stored and easily turned into cash if necessary I consider it a pretty safe investment.

Thanks again for the info [:)]
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 2:01:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I just bought 500 rounds of Federal M193. it is stamped with a mix of 02 and 03.  It is LC brass.  Dealer says more is coming in next week.

This stuff is in Federal brown cardboard packets with the plastic divider.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 9:37:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I just bought 500 rounds of Federal M193. it is stamped with a mix of 02 and 03. It is LC brass. Dealer says more is coming in next week.
View Quote

Do the 20 round boxes all have the same lot number?
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 4:59:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I just bought 500 rounds of Federal M193. it is stamped with a mix of 02 and 03. It is LC brass. Dealer says more is coming in next week.
View Quote

Do the 20 round boxes all have the same lot number?
View Quote

yes.  The mix is in each 20 round box, so far.  I have only opened three.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top