Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2006 11:31:12 PM EDT
Just wondering, I hope to have one delivered tomorrow and am just curious.  Seems a few I've spoken with don't like being limited to the small aperture.

Seems I've also seen a few posts about problem with breakage of parts.

If it hasn't been done, could someone rank the available BUISs on the market?

Thanks,
Scott
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:57:55 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Just wondering, I hope to have one delivered tomorrow and am just curious.  Seems a few I've spoken with don't like being limited to the small aperture.

Thanks,
Scott

Personal opinion being what it is, I see ZERO need for a dedicated small aperture on a BACK UP iron sight. Remember that your only deploying these things when your main optic has gone TU.  I also don't think they need elevation either.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:09:16 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

The small aperture hasn’t bothered me none.

If the mount bolt is over torqued it will snap the rail mounting plate. Follow the inclosed instructions and it will not be an issue.

It's been done: The big bad BUIS FAQ

Thanks,
Scott

Your welcome!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:22:44 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I dont care for the small aperture, harder to use @ night also. Optics dont just break during daylight hours. I like a choice in size.

Mounts being over torqued. But still... Im sure a lot of BUIS get over torqued, why this kind prone to break?

Thanks,
Scott

I dont need 600y of elevation on a BUIS. I didnt like the knob elevation adjustment on the side. Then there seems to be issue on where they come from... Just better ones out there in my opinion. -Justin
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:26:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Okay,

I bought mine off the EE and didn't receive any instructions with it, is there a link where a person could print a copy off?

Mine did arrive today and it looks great, I haven't mounted it because so far everything has a carry handle or other BUIS and I don't have any optics so I'm in no rush to use it, just thought the price was good and thought I'd try something else that was "cool".

Thanks for the replies so far,
Scott
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:29:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#6]
mind you that they are govt. issue
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:16:17 PM EDT
[#7]
When do you ever use the larger aperture?
Remember that these were designed for the military in mind, and for use in all circumstances so that range up to 600 meters makes sense.  If one of our ACOGS, or M68's goes down, we can't just tell our PL that we can now only engage the enemy if they are nice enough to come within 50 meters.

My favorite ones are the homemade ones from cutting down the carry handle, or the ones made by, um... damn.  Somebody help me out here, I can't remember who makes them.  They are the ones there were either inspired by, or the inspiration for, people cutting their carry handles down.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:22:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

0-200yds.

I don't flip to the smaller apertures unless I'm shooting over 250yds.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:27:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you QUIB.

My thinking was that for shorter ranges the optic would be used and if necessary you'd switch to the BUIS.  Also, it seems you can always make a long range aperture shoot short while it'd be slightly more difficult to make a short range shoot long.  That's my opinion though and I'm obviously not even close to an expert or even a novice.

Unicorn: Are you thinking of the LMT A2 Cut-Carry handle style?  I do have one of those and it's very nice but you are stuck with a dedicated, non-flip-downable (hey, I just made up a new word) BUIS.

Thanks guys,
Scott
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:44:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont care for the small aperture, harder to use @ night also. Optics dont just break during daylight hours. I like a choice in size.

Mounts being over torqued. But still... Im sure a lot of BUIS get over torqued, why this kind prone to break?

This EOTech thumbscrew works better.  We use them on our rifles in the armory.
http://www.talonarms.com/talonarms/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=281

They're cheap, too!

B_S

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:09:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

0-200 & also low light situations. Small aperature only, prone to breakage, useless elevation(not to mention how much wind drift your going to experience w. a 62gr @ 600), large clunky adjustment knob next to my charge handle, legality issues... Much better BUIS avaiable for the same for the money.
-Justin
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:51:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

0-200 & also low light situations. Small aperature only, prone to breakage, useless elevation(not to mention how much wind drift your going to experience w. a 62gr @ 600), large clunky adjustment knob next to my charge handle, legality issues... Much better BUIS avaiable for the same for the money.
-Justin

What would those be?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:08:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Justin

What would those be?

Link
Short story is a member here claims to have called the manufacture who claimed these are Mil. only. Stating they must have been stolen out of the system. Personally, I dont buy it. I have seen some honest folks selling these things. Who knows? I wouldnt worry about it. -Justin
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:52:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I dont need 600y of elevation on a BUIS. I didnt like the knob elevation adjustment on the side. Then there seems to be issue on where they come from... Just better ones out there in my opinion. -Justin

ICU, lets not propagate internet BS about the legality, it is just that BS.

The MATECH, just like the KAC 600M rear sight is a mis-match in application for an 14.5" M4. But with proper zeroing and training, they will work. There are just better optoin for the M4. For a RECCE or DMR type application it is a fit, where if the primary optic fails, you have both a short range and longer range capability with either the MATECH or KAC 600M.

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:54:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Keep the "legality issue" rumors out of here unless you want this thread to get locked.  

The Site Staff has looked into the rumors and there is no reason to believe ANY of the Matech BUISs have been gotten through any illegitimate channels.

You guys gossip like little girls.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:18:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Easy guys. Not spreading anything. I posted a link to a question. Now he can draw his own conclusion. Like I said, I dont buy it. It is part of the Matech "history"(on ARFCOM, anyway), like it or not. -Justin
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:48:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Thank you QUIB.

Scott

Your welcome! I asked for the instructions myself and was helped by another member, so I'm just passing on the favor!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top