Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2011 9:46:23 PM EDT
Two Cproducts, dh or any other usgi type mags? I know it's not exact but I've seen usgi type mags going for 7-8 bucks each at times. So do you all think for training, home defense, pretty much anything, that you'd rather have pmags or twice as many usgi mags?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:14:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I get USGI mags and PMAGs for free. So I haven't had to deal with this issue.

Heres are my thoughts, because you got me thinking.

Assuming I had to buy my magazines, and I had zero right now. I would buy approximately 20 PMAGs, and then from there load up with USGI.

Reason being, is even in Iraq I have never had an issue with clean, green follower USGI mags. As a matter of fact, I have run into the issue of my first round not chambering when loading a full PMAG, yet that has never happened to me with a USGI mag.

So why would I take any PMAGs at all then? Because they are more durable, they're definitely not going to rust on you, and they are quieter when empty.

To answer your question. I would buy 1 PMAG and 4 USGI mags until funds ran out.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:37:45 PM EDT
[#2]
FRom my recent experience, I think the cost ratio is more like 3:2 or less for PMAGs:USGI.  Most D&H Mags I see are like $9-10 each.  C-Products are cheaper, but without the same universal approval as D&H or NHMTG.  Plus, C-Products are not technically USGI as they aren't an official contractor.  Through tomorrow, you can get non-windowed PMAGs for about $12 each at JoeBobOutfitters.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:38:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I've never had a PMag or Lancer jam on me.  I've never had one spontaneously dump my rounds all over the ground.  I've also never sliced my hands open on the sharps edges of a PMag or Lancer.  They've never broken spot welds and split in half.  Never had one that expanded so much that it won't fit in a magwell anymore.

I've had all of the above happen with USGI mags.

Quoted:

Through tomorrow, you can get
non-windowed PMAGs for about $12 each at JoeBobOutfitters.
Occasionally you can find Lancers and PMags for ~$10 each.  

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:43:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I get USGI mags and PMAGs for free. So I haven't had to deal with this issue.

Heres are my thoughts, because you got me thinking.

Assuming I had to buy my magazines, and I had zero right now. I would buy approximately 20 PMAGs, and then from there load up with USGI.

Reason being, is even in Iraq I have never had an issue with clean, green follower USGI mags. As a matter of fact, I have run into the issue of my first round not chambering when loading a full PMAG, yet that has never happened to me with a USGI mag.

So why would I take any PMAGs at all then? Because they are more durable, they're definitely not going to rust on you, and they are quieter when empty.

To answer your question. I would buy 1 PMAG and 4 USGI mags until funds ran out.

Is it 20 pmags then load up on gi, or is it 1 pmag and 4 gi? Do they not teach math in the armed forces anymore?   Im sorry, not a soldier but a long time cc for the boys and with my experience i'd say get whatever works best with what your using. I've had issues with polymers, i've had issues with gi's. Magpul makes a great mag, so does colt and other gi style mag manufacturers. Mags have always been a weak link with most firearms. I dont think anyone can honestly answer if one is better than the other after a certain amount of rounds. I love the magpul, love the colt, hope to love the new surefire. But at the end of the day i understand that this is the weak link in the rifle we love, and the reason why lots of us have backups ready at hand.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:02:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've never had a PMag or Lancer jam on me.  I've never had one spontaneously dump my rounds all over the ground.  I've also never sliced my hands open on the sharps edges of a PMag or Lancer.  They've never broken spot welds and split in half.  Never had one that expanded so much that it won't fit in a magwell anymore.

I've had all of the above happen with USGI mags.

Quoted:
Through tomorrow, you can get non-windowed PMAGs for about $12 each at JoeBobOutfitters.
Occasionally you can find Lancers and PMags for ~$10 each.  

When DSG had their pmags at 10 for $100 shipped, I should have loaded up... those things were gold for trading.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:37:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I love pmags.
Get one and try loading and unloading it.
Then I bet you want more.  If not ill trade you 2 gi mags for every pmag you don't want.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:37:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Considering you can get USGI mags for $5-6 each. Windowed Pmags are worth 3 USGI's and non windows are worth 2.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:19:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Pmags.  I hate loading USGI mags. The bullet tips keep getting stuck at the front of the mags when load by hand. PITA.
But I do have a bunch of USGI mags new in boxes.  I buy & use pmags but stock up on both. Mags are mags, as long as they work.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:38:44 AM EDT
[#9]
I prefer PMags. They are just so nice compared to the others. Very durable and easy to work with. They cost more but imo they last many times longer.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 1:29:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I agree with most about the Pmags.  They are worth a little extra for all the reasons listed.  If you have some patience you can find deals off and on all over the internet.  DSG may still be having their "going green" sale.  They had Pmags for $11 and $13.  The EE is another great place to find a deal.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 1:44:11 PM EDT
[#11]
If you can literally only afford to scrape together fifty bucks or so for mags, ever, then buy double the amount of the Cproducts mags.  Then you could have 7 or 8 mags instead of 3 or 4.

Or if you can afford to have thousands and thousands of rounds of ammo that you want all loaded into mags, and the mags will end up just as storage units for ammo, then get double the amount of cproducts mags.

Or if you're just buying mags just to have mags (such as stockpiling "highcaps"), but don't plan to use them, then buy double the amount of Cproducts.

If you're more typical, and you can afford to buy mags more than just once, and you plan on actually using them all, then buy half the amount of PMAGs, Lancers, what have you.    

They all work.  The plastic mags are just nicer.

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top