Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2003 6:20:50 PM EDT
I was at the surplus store and picked up a couple of bottles of LSA for next to nothing (I have always used CLP, but thought I would give LSA a try since it is the recommended lube for cold weather).  Anyway, it is kind of yellowish and thicker than I would expect for a cold weather lube.  Is that how it is supposed to be or is it no good?
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 7:33:40 AM EDT
[#1]
LSA hasn't been used for AR-15's in a very long time.  Although your LSA is still good, your better off with a Can of BreakfreeCLP.  The problem is LSA will not clean for shit, and the AR is going to choke on the spent gas fouling.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 3:32:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Dano523.  I'm glad to know it isn't bad.  I know that CLP is superior in most conditions, but my manual lists LSA as the preferred cold weather lube, so I thought I would get some and test it against the CLP in cold (under 10 F) weather - if it ever cools down again here!
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 5:56:04 PM EDT
[#3]
You would be better off with Remington Nitro CLP,which is the curent CLP that the military is using.  The draw back to it is that the Nitro CLP is very thin and doesn't stay on the parts as well as BreakfreeCLP.

But in the cold, the thiner CLP product will still work a hell of alot better than the LSA.  Trust me, I used to use LSA back in the 70's and was very happy when CLP replaced it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 5:51:57 PM EDT
[#4]
It's an excellent rust preventative and I use it too, certain applications tho.  CLP is still my preferred all around product.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 4:45:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks Dano523.  I'm glad to know it isn't bad.  I know that CLP is superior in most conditions, but my manual lists LSA as the preferred cold weather lube, so I thought I would get some and test it against the CLP in cold (under 10 F) weather - if it ever cools down again here!
View Quote

WRONG!

LAW or Lubricant, Arctic Weapons is the proscribed cold weather lube.

LSa is not LAW.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top