Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/14/2002 7:42:25 PM EDT
I can move this setup back a notch, but then the cut carry handle would have to go back as well.  And I'd prefer to keep the cut carry handle A2 sight in the same position as the carry handle would be.  Plus the Aimpoint is that much further forward.  (Don't tell me to get a cantilever mount, as I want the QR.)

My concerns here are the reduced surface area of the mount due to its forward placement.

TIA

EDIT: And why is it that black Colt uppers never photogragh purple but black BM uppers always do?  Guess it's one of the great mysteries of the world.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 7:49:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats funny! mine is setup the same way.

I have played with it mounted where it is and one and two notches back, I like it where it is best, as far as function goes but it looks kinda funny hanging over the delta ring. I was also concerned about the reduced surface area of the mount due to its forward placement, but it is on there solid, it doesnt budge, seems fine to me.

[img]www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=mahabali55&album_id=114607&image_id=0¶m=86355[/img]

EDIT: look at the color of mine, bet you cant guess what brand it is! [:d]
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 8:00:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

EDIT: look at the color of mine, bet you cant guess what brand it is! [:d]
View Quote

Yeah, yeah, yeah ... whatever.

For the record the "rifle" pictured above is a factory Colt R6530 with a BM SuperLight upper added.  LW bbl + flattop = PERFECTION IMHO.  If the Krime Bill goes away expect to see a new BM lower added to the upper.

And the BM upper is a beater while the Colt upper is being stored.  I really enjoy resting the muzzle on a concrete floor just like I use to do in the military.  It makes me feel like I'm treating the rifle the way it was designed to be treated.

But it must must be a BM "special ingredient" that gives it that purple color.  Perhaps it's an anti-IR treatment to help shield the user from detection by the Al Qaeda AC130's that we can expect to be strafing our shopping malls with 40mm in the near future.  Yeah, that's it....  [rolleyes]

EDITED to add that I didn't mean to stop only at sarcasm.  I also wanted to thank you for your info.  [:D]  It's appreciated.  Now if the engineers can weigh in on this, I have a feeling we're going to get our butts kicked....

DOH!  I looked at your upper again, and [gasp!], I see a hint of purple.  Is it, could it be...?

For the record, I will buy nothing but Bushmaster from here on out due to their quality and milspec parts.  But they don't photograph well, do they?  [:D]

EDITED because I can't spell.
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 8:07:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Turn the caps so they flip up and back the Aimpoint up!
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 8:16:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sorry, but I think that down is the way for the covers to go.  In support, I offer the following:

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=145332&w=myTopicPop[/url]

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=1810[/img]
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 8:53:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I use a DPMS rear backup site and have my Aimpoint mounted with the caps down with no over hang and have no clearence problems what type of backup site is that?
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 10:33:31 AM EDT
[#6]
war:

It's a chopped carry handle.  I got it from a member here for a decent price to test out the concept.  I'll probably send my BM carry handle to K2 sports in TX to have them chop it.  Then I'll have this chopped carry handle (a Colt) refinished to use on my Colt M4 marked receiver.

EDITED to add:

MAHABALI:

So, what is it?  Colt or BM?

I thought you were razzing me by posting a pic of a Colt, but then I noticed a slight hint of purple in it.  Now the photo is down.  [?]

It's funny, my BM SL upper is black as night in person, but photographs for poop.  Granted the rifle wasn't shined up prior to the photo, but my Colt preban lower looks okay.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 11:28:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Its a Bushmaster, It only looks purple in pictures though, I have some other pictures that it looks really purple in.

I might try flipping my aimpoint caps down, Ive tried them to the right, but I found them more obstructive that flipping them upwards, and obviously you cant have them flip open to the left.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 1:04:03 PM EDT
[#8]
My Aimpoint caps flip up but they really aren't any higher than the elevation turret when up and folded back. Fold them up and move the ARMS mount back.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 2:22:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Corey, do the exact opposite of what this guy is saying... oh wait, you already did [img]http://forums.iroczone.com/images/smiles/thumbsup.gif[/img]

No benefits whatsoever in having the caps flipped up. It isnt bad to have them up, but it is better to have them down and out of the way 100%. And do not move the sight back, the further forward these things are, the better and easier they work. Thats why folks love the forward mounts and gooseneck mount. You're rig is fine.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 2:35:03 PM EDT
[#10]
The only reason I'm telling you to back it up is so that it will be more stable and have full support. I would prefer to have my caps flip down as well but the I can't use my ARMS 40.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 3:51:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Leave the mount where it is.  You've got more than enough support there.  People have been mounting scopes with skinny little rings for quite some time and you've got quite a bit more metal on that rail than most skinny little rings.  It's purely a cosmetic issue...nothing more.

Bradd
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 3:56:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey! That looks just like mine except for the purple upper. Leave it as it is. Why? Because it works best this way. The sight, far forward, takes up less space in your field of view and the caps down help as well. Plus the caps will have less chance of snagging on something in the woods when flipped down.

Bob
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 5:58:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hey! That looks just like mine except for the purple upper.

Bob
View Quote

[yellingatthetopofmylungs]IT'S NOT PURPLE!!!![/yellingatthetopofmylungs]

Thanks.  I feel better now.  [:D]

Seriously though, thanks to everyone for the advice.  I'm sure I'll have some more questions as I get to know my M2.  Wow, it is one heck of a solid, thoughtfully designed, perfectly executed piece of equipment.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 6:40:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Turn the caps over on your Aimpoint on the purple upper, move it back a notch and zero it for 50 yards. [:D] The buis looks cool.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 6:58:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Turn the caps over on your Aimpoint on the purple upper, move it back a notch and zero it for 50 yards. [:D] ....
View Quote

LOL!

[beer]
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 8:09:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I have exactly the same set up except I have everything moved back one notch.  I think one notch back on the CutCH sight is where it would go if the carry handle were still intact.  But if the ARMs mount is not wobbling leave it where it is.    
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 6:51:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have exactly the same set up except I have everything moved back one notch.  I think one notch back on the CutCH sight is where it would go if the carry handle were still intact.  But if the ARMs mount is not wobbling leave it where it is.    
View Quote

I actually checked this out ahead of time and the full carry handle mounts exactly where I have the chopped carry handle in the pics.  When you line up the front of the carry handle with the front of the receiver the rear of the receiver is exposed by a couple of mm's.  Moving it back one notch exposes area at the front of the receiver and the rear of the carry handle hangs over the end of the receiver by a few mm's.

It's strange the way that the removable carry handle is designed.  One would think that it is the exact same length as the receiver, but it's not.  The carry handle is actually a little shorter.

I tried to find a pic, and here's the closest I could get in a short amount of time.  It's off of Colt's website.  You can see that the rear of the carry handle stops a few mm's (I can't measure it now, so I don't have an exact #) short of the rear edge of the receiver.

[img]http://www.colt.com/colt/assets/images/a2f10_carbine.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 10:48:28 AM EDT
[#18]
 I have my cut handle from K2 all the way back and it hangs over a few mm, but my Eotech 552 fits on the receiver fine.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 11:26:14 AM EDT
[#19]
txswat:

Actually the Eotech can be mounted forward on the receiver so that the front portion of it is positioned over the front handguards.  At least it worked with my standard carbine handguards (possibly not with M4's?).

And as soon as I have some spare time to contact K2, I'll be trying to have my BM CH chopped by them.  Looks like they do great work based on the pics in the chopped CH thread.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 2:12:45 PM EDT
[#20]
How about this question...Why do we need lens caps on our Aimpoints? I don't have lens caps on my AR mounted Elcan or my AR mounted ACOG. So why do we feel that we need them on our Aimpoints? They are probably more of a liability than an asset.

Hmmm...after thinking about this I'm taking them off.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 4:57:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
How about this question...Why do we need lens caps on our Aimpoints? I don't have lens caps on my AR mounted Elcan or my AR mounted ACOG. So why do we feel that we need them on our Aimpoints? They are probably more of a liability than an asset.

Hmmm...after thinking about this I'm taking them off.
View Quote

Let's not rush to conclusions to fast...

They do come in handy around water, mud, snow, etc., when not in use!
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 8:37:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Yours is not the first 22M68 I've seen mounted in this position, Corey - and I'v never heard of folks having problems.

My $.02
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top