Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2005 2:51:04 PM EDT
Just wondering how worthwhile these products are: adjustable gas nut, adjustable gas block. (gas block like the one sold by JP Enterprises.) Thank you for any opinions.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 10:15:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends, what are you going to use the rifle for?  Are you planning on using any really light or heavy loads? Having cycling problems?  Using a suppressor?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:44:06 AM EDT
[#2]
No, just normal use- mostly target shooting and maybe competition. I was just reading more about the JP Enterprises gas block. One person found it very difficult to install.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:59:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Are there any more information or opinions on this subject?  I am thinking about adding one of the JP Enterprises adjustable gas blocks on my new (actually first) AR.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:34:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Are there any more information or opinions on this subject?  I am thinking about adding one of the JP Enterprises adjustable gas blocks on my new (actually first) AR.

Thanks.

My opinion is "if it aint broke, don't break it"

If I don't have any reliability problems with my AR, I do not want to add one more component to its mechanism, because that is one more piece that can break.  

Like others said, if you are PLANNING on using heavy (or unusual loads) then it might be worth it, but for regular use I really don't see the purpose.  Plus, would the highest (i.e. most "open") setting on an adjustable port really give "more" gas than a regular (non-adjustable) system - or would the highest setting simply be equal to a normal unadjusted AR?  If that was the case, then the ONLY purpose would seem to be if you are shooting specially loaded ammo.

I dunno - the gas system seems to work remarkably well on the AR platform, I really don't think an adjustable gas port is necessary.   How dirty woudl an AR have to get before one would need to increase the gas pressure??
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:50:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll backup DK on this one as well.
With a typical AR chambered in 5.56, there is not much need for an adjustable gas system unless your gas port is oversized.
You can't buy very many loads that would NOT work with a normal gas setup.

That said, I sell a LOT of JP gas blocks on 300x221 uppers that I build.
Here you need it to recognize the full potential of the barrel.
The JP block does use a setscrew to adjust gas flow and there is no mechanical lock to keep the setscrew adjusted.
I usually use loctite and I have had good luck so far.

If your rifle works as it is, just leave it alone.
Got money to burn?
Buy a copy of Jim Crews training CD and then MORE AMMO!

www.marksmans.com/sys-tmpl/carbinetrainingmanual/

Randall Rausch
www.ar15barrels.com

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:01:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:10:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Unless you are doing a wildcat like .300 whisper or something dont mess with a 100% functional design.  Ask your self WHY AM I DOING THIS and if the answer is I HAVE NO IDEA then dont do it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:19:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
+1 to all that was said before, good to know there are some smart people left here.

Where? Where are the smart people?
I don't see any...

Randall
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:57:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Or you can have Randall chamber a tack-driving, full bull, super match barrel for you and then you will have a legit excuse  to get the gas block.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:37:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
No, just normal use- mostly target shooting and maybe competition.

It is not needed for what you intend to use your rifle for.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:20:17 AM EDT
[#11]
what everyone has stated already
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:44:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the input guys.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:26:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Oddly enough (unless you know me), you guys are making me want one now...
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:39:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm running an MGI adjustable gas tube on my M16, but my reasoning is two-fold. First, I'm using an MGI rate/recoil reducing buffer, and with the adjustable gas tube, I can cut the gas flow down to the bare minimum required to lock the bolt back on an empty mag. This allows no more recoil than necessary. Second, over time my M16's gas port will erode, leading to more violent cycling. I can meter my gas flow down as the gas port's diameter increases to avoid this situation.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:45:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I'm running an MGI adjustable gas tube on my M16, but my reasoning is two-fold. First, I'm using an MGI rate/recoil reducing buffer, and with the adjustable gas tube, I can cut the gas flow down to the bare minimum required to lock the bolt back on an empty mag. This allows no more recoil than necessary. Second, over time my M16's gas port will erode, leading to more violent cycling. I can meter my gas flow down as the gas port's diameter increases to avoid this situation.

For that kind of specific application, it makes perfect sense.

As an aside - how much does it take (rounds) to erode/expand a gas port to the extent where it actually makes a noticable difference?

Does it happen around the same time a barrel starts to get worn out anyway (rifling, throat erosion) or can it happen long before?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:00:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
As an aside - how much does it take (rounds) to erode/expand a gas port to the extent where it actually makes a noticable difference?

I was told by Tom at MGI (posts here under the screen name "twl") that after 1-1.5K rounds, the gas port has eroded enough that it is noticeable.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:19:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was told by Tom at MGI (posts here under the screen name "twl") that after 1-1.5K rounds, the gas port has eroded enough that it is noticeable.

Really     I did not expect the number to be so low!

Wow.  If that's the case, maybe an adjustable gas system isn't a bad idea for those who shoot their ARs a lot - just to compensate for that erosion.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:48:03 PM EDT
[#18]
That's terrible. Only 1500 rounds and the gas port is opened up to make a difference? Crap design if you ask me, first it shits where it feeds, and the gas port deal.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:08:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, I haven't really noticed but I haven't looked for it.  I've shot thousands and thousands of rounds without any change in functioning.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:24:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:29:25 AM EDT
[#21]
So true, you would think they would simply all be cut to spec but they are not.  Many people have to fool with the gas port size just to get their shorties to run.

So I am curious, if the gas port is to spec, how long till reliable function is lost in terms of round count and how does this compare to average barrel life?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:23:32 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
So I am curious, if the gas port is to spec, how long till reliable function is lost in terms of round count and how does this compare to average barrel life?

I don't think that it is so much a loss of reliable functioning as it is a more violent cycling. I guess that the more gas you get, the harder it cycles.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:34:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Well if you get it to barely cycle what happens in cold, muddy conditions?  Your rifle quits working thats what.  Leave room for fouling and nasty conditions.  Wait if you did that you would be back to where you started.  Back to no reason for an adjustbale gas tube again.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:45:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:55:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:22:30 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
It does not shit as it is not a biological organism.

Are you sure?  It smells really bad in there.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:46:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top