Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2006 7:04:09 PM EDT
Man, I'm sure people have asked this before but I'm having a bear of a time. Even with my custom rig of 2x4s and drill holes, I'm still unable to whack these pins loose. For my trouble, I've got a couple of brass marks on the FSB and one that came off and hit the barrel at a glance

How easy is it for me to damage my barrel by doing this? I'm about to throw this thing in the freezer and/or hit it with a heat gun.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:44:27 AM EDT
[#1]
all of my bushmaster still shoot great after a whooping on the fsb pins.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:51:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Just a heads up, I've always had better luck removing the FSB pins using a series of lighter rapid taps than a BFH and one big wallop.

Sorry to go off topic, but this might help you out.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:21:21 AM EDT
[#3]
The pins are tapered. Are you hitting them from the right direction?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:28:09 AM EDT
[#4]
The whole thing has been soaking in CLP during the night. Maybe it will be easier today. To answer your question: Yes, I've been going at the pins from their little end first, from the left side (looking down the barrel from breech to face). All this has gained me is a marred FSP (this isn't a big deal, but it pisses me off just the same). Bushmaster cuts their pins high up into the barrel.

I don't want to have to cut the thing off and ruin the FSB, but at the same time, I don't want to ruin the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:10:21 AM EDT
[#5]
so its a bushmaster bbl.? if so the pins are parked over along with the fsb, adds to the headache.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:11:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Try this link. Read through the whole thing, Randall gives a really good idea there.

Good luck,

Gene
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:15:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Check it out...I tried Randall's idea. That didn't even work; I now have a deep ring-shaped indentation on the other side of the FSB around the large end of the pin.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:29:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Check it out...I tried Randall's idea. That didn't even work; I now have a deep ring-shaped indentation on the other side of the FSB around the large end of the pin.

Dremel time.

I wish all FSB's came off like RRA's.  Damn those are sooooo easy.

This is one area where I really hate working on Bushmasters.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:30:02 AM EDT
[#9]

Dremel time.

You sure?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:31:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Dremel time.

You sure?

Well, no.... I bet Mongo or I can get it off.... I have only had one that refused to move..... I had to dremel a "cup" in the pin to hold the punch, and beat the living snot out of it.  You had better really support the FSB, and not by the barrel, if you have to hit them that hard.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:36:36 AM EDT
[#11]
And you didn't damage the barrel by doing any of that? There's a slight possibility that I'm being a little too shy WRT how hard I'm hitting it, but I kind of doubt it.

Had I known BFI does this to their barrels I'd have either requested that they remove it or I'd have gone with some other mfgr.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:48:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I would suggest making sure your backing up the FSB really good. Use a solid block of wood on a good solid base that won’t flex under pressure and absorb all the force applied by the hammer. Use the garage floor if you have too. Make sure your punch is centered directly on the FSB pin and give a good solid tap to the pin.

I think it was in the other post that Tweak mentioned using an 8oz hammer. I used a small tack hammer to knock my FSB pins out. Take a deep breath and cool off for a second and regroup. Last thing you want to do is bend your barrel, or mushroom the ends of the pins.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:49:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
And you didn't damage the barrel by doing any of that? There's a slight possibility that I'm being a little too shy WRT how hard I'm hitting it, but I kind of doubt it.

Had I known BFI does this to their barrels I'd have either requested that they remove it or I'd have gone with some other mfgr.

As long as you support the FSB, you wont do any damage to the barrel.  The key - is good solid support of the FSB, and a SOLID surface to set the assembly on.  Benches will give... If I have a booger, I place the support directly on my concrete floor.  Then making sure you have a good punch, use a big hammer, and a SOLID hit.  Starting a little light to make sure you wont slip.  Then with one solid blow, they will come out.

If not.... dremel time.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:56:19 AM EDT
[#14]
I paid BFI an extra $50 to flute this bitch and this is how they repay me.

FROM HELL'S HEART, I STAB AT THEE BUSHMASTER.

I'll try contravening force against the FSB pins one more time tonight before the cutting disc of death gets broken out.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:17:13 AM EDT
[#15]
For removing a front sight base. I found that even damaged pins can be removed without destroying them. You have to use a FSB block like they sell at Brownells. Like this.  Put it in a vise while you hold a short punch or another pin in place with pliers and squeeze the pins out in the vise. This method is much easier than the hammer and punch method. No more busted knuckels, marred finishes, or mushroomed pins.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:53:37 AM EDT
[#16]
good idea, but wear your safety glasses!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:48:31 PM EDT
[#17]
i took  the pins out of my bushmaster barrel, was quite a bitch. All i can say is : HIT THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS REAL DAMN HARD!!!!!!!!

thats what worked for me :)
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:10:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Just a heads up, I've always had better luck removing the FSB pins using a series of lighter rapid taps than a BFH and one big wallop.

FWIW, and to confuse the issue, my experience has been the exact opposite and consistent for the, oh, say, 50 or so barrels I've done this to.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:41:50 PM EDT
[#19]
+1 on the BIG HAMMER, BIG HIT
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:18:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

FWIW, and to confuse the issue, my experience has been the exact opposite and consistent for the, oh, say, 50 or so barrels I've done this to.

I always used the BFH method too until I had to remove a FSB from my one Colt so I could send the barrel off to get it threaded.  I beat and beat on the pins and nothing.  I called my one friend up that is a Colt armorer and asked him if he had any suggestions.  He then told me about using rapid taps with  a punch and hammer.  It surprised me, they came out after a few seconds of the tapping.  Why?  I don't know but it worked.  I haven't worked on as many barrels as  you Mongo (only about a dozen and a  half) and the BFH method always worked for me too until this last barrel.  I know the frustration RavenVT100 is going through. Luckily, I didn't booger up my FSB or barrel.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top