Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2009 4:11:55 PM EDT
I set out today to give the rifle a through cleaning. What I discovered was the carrier key was loose. The BCG had come from M&A and has seen no more than 500 rounds fired. It had been staked but apparently not very well. I removed the key so I could clean under it. I reassembled it & re staked it. I was putting the rifle back together and I found out the carrier would not slide all the way in to the upper receiver. as you look down into the reciever you, the carrier makes it just to the opening. The key is short from the tube about 2 inches (i'll post a pic later). I looked for a burr from the staking, took the bolt out of the carrier. I swapped out a BCG from my AR pistol & it fit in the upper just fine. I tried the first BCG in the pistol & it sticks the same way.

So my question is has anyone ever warped or bent a carrier? I didn’t hit it that hard when I was staking the key.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:43:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Does it stop "dead" or screech to a halt? In other words, does it seem to be hitting something solid or rubbing?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:31:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, that is exactly what it is doing
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:49:47 AM EDT
[#3]
When you restaked the key, the displaced metal may be sticking too far out and hitting/rubbing the inside of the upper.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:59:55 AM EDT
[#4]
That was the first thing that I though of. I already took a file & knocked down any burrs. Tonight I'm going to remove the key and see if it still rubs. I just find it hard to believe I bent it. I really didn't hit it that hard.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:17:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Does the key show signs of excessive rubbing? Does the inside of the charging handle show signs of excessive wear? Could the charging handle be bent?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:31:08 AM EDT
[#6]
No marks on the key, it binds with or with out the charging handle installed
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:42:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Not to sound like Mr. Obvious, but is the carrier key hitting the gas tube and not going over it?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:20:14 PM EDT
[#8]
It binds up before it gets anywhere close to the gas tube
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:16:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm baffled! Now I'll have to take one of mine apart when I get home to get a better idea!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:26:17 PM EDT
[#10]
How did you stake it? Carriers are pretty tough but maybe you crushed it in the vice(assuming you used one).

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:46:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I just took one of mine apart to see if anything jumped out at me and....... nothin'! There really isn't anything inside the upper that could cause a problem like that. Maybe you did crush it a little. as suggested before...Did you use a vice when you re-staked it? If so, pull everything off it and trash it and get another one! This is a good time to upgrade it
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:29:52 AM EDT
[#12]
thats what I am thinking..suggestions for a new one? I am looking at the DMPN TIN coated one from midwayusa
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:23:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Is it possible to post some possible to get some pictures of the carrier from the top, sides and inserted in the gun?  This one has my interest!  I think it would take a lot of manipulating to bend a carrier!  If the carrier is bent, I'd like to see that.  If it's something simple that you are overlooking maybe we can give you a hand here on the board.  I know I've done some things that had me completely perplexed and the solution was the most simple thing that I overlooked!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:25:23 AM EDT
[#14]
I will try & take some pics tonight. Wasgoing to do it last night & never made i out to my shop. Playing around on Face Book!!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:29:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
thats what I am thinking..suggestions for a new one? I am looking at the DMPN TIN coated one from midwayusa
I know there are some nice ones out there but I haven't taken that plunge yet so I'm not "up" on them. Sorry.  

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:04:33 PM EDT
[#16]
So this makes absolutly no sense at all. I take the stripped carier, no bolt but with key still attached, and it goes in all the way!.  I assemble the carier with the bolt, firing pin etc. Lube it all up and it work fine. Slight resistance felt. I attach the lower & do a function check.  No problems at all. I ran the BCG 10-15 times without any problems! If the weather holds out this weekend I'll try a test shoot.

I was so close to ordering a new carrier this afternoon.

Wish me luck

Before you ask, yes it was lubed the first time before I had all these problems
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:43:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Check your barrel  to make sure it isn't loose, if the barrel twisted in the upper the gas tube will be out of alignment and the bolt wont engage the lugs properly.  When you heat the rifle up from firing the upper will expand at a different rate than the barrel nut and it is possible for the barrel to turn on the upper if not torqued properly, when the parts cool the barrel nut will shrink and re-tighten on the upper.  The bolt carrier group should lock without any resistance.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:29:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I set out today to give the rifle a through cleaning. What I discovered was the carrier key was loose. The BCG had come from M&A and has seen no more than 500 rounds fired. It had been staked but apparently not very well. I removed the key so I could clean under it. I reassembled it & re staked it.  I was putting the rifle back together and I found out the carrier would not slide all the way in to the upper receiver. as you look down into the reciever you, the carrier makes it just to the opening. The key is short from the tube about 2 inches (i'll post a pic later). I looked for a burr from the staking, took the bolt out of the carrier. I swapped out a BCG from my AR pistol & it fit in the upper just fine. I tried the first BCG in the pistol & it sticks the same way.

So my question is has anyone ever warped or bent a carrier? I didn’t hit it that hard when I was staking the key.

I'm betting on something not lined up correctly, Go over the key again and mount it a tiny bit over snug and slide the carrier into the upper again. This may help you get things lined up. Tighten the key all the way after it seats correctly.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 1:03:25 AM EDT
[#19]
It was probably because your bolt was in the retracted position, so the cam pin was stopping the BCG from going in to the upper.

I always grab my BCG in my hand, and snap it with a flick of the wrist to send the bolt to the extended position before putting it in to the upper.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 6:59:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It was probably because your bolt was in the retracted position, so the cam pin was stopping the BCG from going in to the upper.

I always grab my BCG in my hand, and snap it with a flick of the wrist to send the bolt to the extended position before putting it in to the upper.

I thought about that too but I don't think the carrier will go in at all if the cam pin is mis-aligned... Maybe it was just mis-aligned slightly and something in the bolt body was binding up and keeping it from rotating...... Baffling.

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 8:11:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Maybe you had the bolt in the carrier backwards.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:51:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Maybe you had the bolt in the carrier backwards.

I expect a comment from someone from Jersey!!!!!!!

PS..I grew up in Brooklyn!
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top