Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/14/2007 8:35:24 PM EDT
Like many other AR owners and users, I prefer the more compact dimensions of the A1 stock and wish it had the durability and solid feel of the A2.

From what I have read here, (most recently this thread: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=331602 )

you have the following options:

1. Use A1 stock with stronger A2 buttplate assy.

2. Try to find a Colt CS stock (A1 length made out of A2 material-best but most expensive option).

3. Get a CavArms C1 stock (A1 size but not as nice as a Colt CS. Much cheaper.)

Would it be possible to shorten a GI A2 stock (i.e. cut the appropriate amount off the buttplate end) and reattach the A2 buttplate? Last year I sold a couple of dozen A2 stocks. I have a few left but they are packed away so I can’t examine one to answer this question myself. I assume it can’t be easily done, otherwise everybody would be doing it. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 8:38:32 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Like many other AR owners and users, I prefer the more compact dimensions of the A1 stock and wish it had the durability and solid feel of the A2.

From what I have read here, (most recently this thread: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=331602 )

you have the following options:

1. Use A1 stock with stronger A2 buttplate assy.

2. Try to find a Colt CS stock (A1 length made out of A2 material-best but most expensive option).

3. Get a CavArms C1 stock (A1 size but not as nice as a Colt CS. Much cheaper.)

Would it be possible to shorten a GI A2 stock (i.e. cut the appropriate amount off the buttplate end) and reattach the A2 buttplate? Last year I sold a couple of dozen A2 stocks. I have a few left but they are packed away so I can’t examine one to answer this question myself. I assume it can’t be easily done, otherwise everybody would be doing it. Any thoughts? Thanks.

No...

The stock is not cutt-able and you would not have a buttplate that fits....
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 8:42:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd think you'd have to chop off the receiver side of the stock, no?
The real trick, then, would be reshaping that little dot at the bottom that keeps the stock from rotating.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 8:59:01 PM EDT
[#3]
CavArms has a lifetime warranty.

I just use a 6 position CAA stock on the fifth notch. Presto, A1 length.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 7:59:39 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
CavArms has a lifetime warranty.

I just use a 6 position CAA stock on the fifth notch. Presto, A1 length.

Ummm. I believe he's referring to rifle type stocks, not collapsibles.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 11:28:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I believe that to make it go on an A1 buttstock all you have to do is remove the A2 stock body and slide the A1 stock body over the tube. A2 Have a spacer in them to make up the space difference.

You may have to find a shorter screw though to replace the A2 stock screw.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top