Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2008 1:14:15 AM EDT
I'm guessing there is nothing wrong with it, because the extension itself is not chrome lined, it's just the metal.

I've got 2 uppers that have feed ramps, and 2 barrels that don't. Should I sell the uppers and buy new/used ones, or go ahead and dremel the extensions to match?

Thanks... and these are not super high dollar new barrels or anything, just some parts I still have laying around I'd rather have complete and shootable.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 2:22:17 AM EDT
Use the right parts for the right results
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 3:18:46 AM EDT
I have a RRA upper, brand-new new & un-mounted, w/ standard feed ramps. Depending on the make of your M4-ramped uppers, I would be willing to swap for one. PM me if you're interested, I'm in TX.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 3:21:31 AM EDT
i did it to make my x39 ar15 feed.

Link Posted: 11/15/2008 3:52:21 AM EDT
I've done several myself. No problems.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 8:39:53 AM EDT
Originally Posted By nicholsmf:

+1

trade 'em to somebody who needs the ramps
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 10:09:41 AM EDT
Or send them to a smith to machine them, shipping barrels is no big deal.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 10:24:04 AM EDT
Originally Posted By nicholsmf:

+1

please don't fuck up perfectly good parts with a dremel...
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 11:04:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/15/2008 11:06:18 AM EDT by hybridracers]
Man some of you guys kill me........I see nothing wrong with doing it yourself if need be. Sure it isnt annodized and leaves that ramp area slightly prone to wear but still, if you guys all lived up to the stuff your claiming, no one would be a gun smith.

There is nothing wrong with carving it out yourself. I myself would put the barrel in, mark where it needs to be ramped and then remove the barrel, carve it out and sand it down and recheck with the barrel several times. It should be a smooth seemless transition.

If you can afford it, go and have it stripped and re-annodized. Im not even a fan of all the malarky on what type of annodizing needs be done, if you take care of your weapon and inspect it regularly, youll find that regular annodizing is pretty tough and will take a long time to wear off. Sure a hard annodizing is a bit tougher but it aint like these things are going to the moon.

Have fun modding your gun, be careful and think about it before you cut.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 1:28:19 PM EDT
Originally Posted By hybridracers:
Man some of you guys kill me........I see nothing wrong with doing it yourself if need be. Sure it isnt annodized and leaves that ramp area slightly prone to wear but still, if you guys all lived up to the stuff your claiming, no one would be a gun smith.

There is nothing wrong with carving it out yourself. I myself would put the barrel in, mark where it needs to be ramped and then remove the barrel, carve it out and sand it down and recheck with the barrel several times. It should be a smooth seemless transition.

If you can afford it, go and have it stripped and re-annodized. Im not even a fan of all the malarky on what type of annodizing needs be done, if you take care of your weapon and inspect it regularly, youll find that regular annodizing is pretty tough and will take a long time to wear off. Sure a hard annodizing is a bit tougher but it aint like these things are going to the moon.

Have fun modding your gun, be careful and think about it before you cut.

read the OP's post, he's talking about dremeling barrel extensions not upper receivers

And why dremel something, when the correct parts are easily obtainable and the incorrect parts, for this application, may be useful to someone else without any modifications?

Wouldn't you want someone in the AR community to be able to provide you with parts that you needed in trade for ones you don't?

Trust me, I have absolutely nothing against people who correctly modify parts, but in this instance it doesn't make alot of sense, especially since the AR has run just fine without ramps for decades
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 8:16:43 PM EDT
hmmm.............must be looking at someone else's pics, I see aluminum ground down in a pic and called it an upper reciever.

regardless, its not a big deal and if anyone wants to carve some metal, Im the first guy to say GO FOR IT. worst thing that can happen is it gets messed up.

Learning occurs with trying.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 10:08:00 AM EDT
Just to clarify. The uppers HAVE feedramps, and are already anodized.

I have two barrels to use with them, that are NOT feed-ramped. Since the barrel extension is steel, and not chrome plated or anything else, I figured there would be no issue to ramp it to fit.

Didn't expect such mixed opinions...

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:57:23 PM EDT
Measure twice - cut once.

You'll be fine.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:57:10 PM EDT
I am thinking about trying the same thing. I have a standard 20" upper with an A2 reciver. I want to swap it to a flat top, but if the barrel does not shoot as well as I want it to I will want to switch it to a 16" and most of those are M4 feed ramps including the one I want (WOA .75 midweight).

I figured put a m4 upper on and see what happens. The bullets don't get caught on the standard barrel why should they get caught now?

I do have my reservations about this, so if anyone has a place to get a cheap standard upper let me know.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 5:21:57 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ziebart:
...I want to swap it to a flat top... I will want to switch it to a 16" and most of those are M4 feed ramps...if anyone has a place to get a cheap standard upper let me know.

Is this http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=598381 what you are looking for?
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:24:32 PM EDT
Thanks, I was hoping for a complete, but that is a darn good price.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:32:01 PM EDT
on ADCO's site they say you may as well do it yourself

so i dont see what the bfd is - go for it!
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 6:37:31 AM EDT
+1
Originally Posted By W_E_G:
Measure twice - cut once.

You'll be fine.

Link Posted: 11/22/2008 9:37:17 AM EDT
Originally Posted By CA_TX-Cop:
Just to clarify. The uppers HAVE feedramps, and are already anodized.

I have two barrels to use with them, that are NOT feed-ramped. Since the barrel extension is steel, and not chrome plated or anything else, I figured there would be no issue to ramp it to fit.

Didn't expect such mixed opinions...

I used a dremel on mine, a Colt A2 upper w/ramps and FN A2 bbl wo/ramps. It worked out great!

Top Top