Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/28/2003 5:14:00 PM EDT
Hekko everyone.  I was just wondering what everyones opinion was on this.  I know that sronger ammonia-based solvents are not a good idea to leave in chrome lined bores for long periods, but what about #9?  Every so often I do a thorough (read that as anal) cleaning of my bore in my AR and AK and soaking it in Hoppes #9 for a few hours first seems to make the carbon and copper fouling break up easier when it comes to brushing and pushing patches through it.  Can this harm the chrome at all?  Thanks for replies.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 10:17:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn’t think it would cause any problems.

Hoppe’s #9 is pretty mild.  I’ve heard of folks leaving it overnight in unplated bores with no problems.

(It will mess up nickle, though.)

If it’s a concern, you might want to try Kroil (which is a penetrating oil), instead.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:10:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I hoped it would not be harmful.  Does anyone else have any opinions with this?
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:29:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Im not sure if it would affect the chrome or not since it does contain a small percentage of ammonium oleate(spelling?).
But I dont think I would anyway.
If you want to soak the bore safely use the Kroil as 199 recommends.
Personally I only use Firepower FP-10 to clean for everyday type maintenance.If its allowed to sit in the barrel over night it will float alot of fouling from the bore.Basically works just as the kroil will.
I clean until I get a pretty clean patch and then wet the bore with FP-10.Let it set for a few days and then run another patch dampened with fp-10 down the bore to remove whatever the FP-10 has pulled out.Thats about it for me.
Before shooting I run a dry patch down the bore to remove any remaining oil and suspended fouling,if any.
I only use solvents every once in awhile,primarily for copper removal.
Raymond
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 9:40:01 AM EDT
[#4]
It should be ok just make sure it dosn't enter your triger group or any other part of you rifle.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top