Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2004 3:15:01 PM EDT
....just got a new EOTech 512-A65, installed the batteries provided and mounted on a Colt carry handle. The reticle and center dot appear to be blurry regardless of the power setting. Is this normal?

The pictures I have seen posted for this configuration did not look blurry to me.

Thanks for the input.

Chuck
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:18:47 PM EDT
Turn down the reticle and look at the target.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:00:40 PM EDT
Thanks for the input.

I asked my wife to take alook and after reducing the power and focusing on a target we determined that it is not the optics that are causing a blurr.

Thanks.

Chuck
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:03:18 PM EDT
Normal.  Bothered me too much, sent it back and got an Aimpoint.  Glad I did.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:26:53 PM EDT
It does appear to be a bit blurry when you focus on the reticle rather thant the target.  If you have any type of eye astigmatism it makes the reticle even more blurry in appearance.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:34:01 PM EDT
I am nearsighted.  If I leave my glasses off, the reticle is blurry, but with my glasses, and focusing on the target, both target and reticle are sharp.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:20:11 PM EDT
What do you expect from a 36 MOA circle of dots?
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:00:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/28/2004 8:01:36 PM EDT by akajimmy]

Originally Posted By CBG:
Thanks for the input.

I asked my wife to take alook and after reducing the power and focusing on a target we determined that it is not the optics that are causing a blurr.

Thanks.

Chuck

I had to do the same thing.

Originally Posted By A_Free_Man:
I am nearsighted.  If I leave my glasses off, the reticle is blurry, but with my glasses, and focusing on the target, both target and reticle are sharp.

Same here.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:43:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DevL:

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:21:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/29/2004 12:03:05 PM EDT by Yojimbo]

Originally Posted By Maverick656:

You guys seem to be forgetting the 65 MOA outer ring is for CQB and does not need to be sharp.  It's for quick target focused aquisition on the move so you won't standing at your NPA, slinging up, working breath and heart rate control while carefully lining up everything for a perfect sight picture before pressing the trigger...  Seriously, try to think the 65 MOA outer ring as a big ghost ring for fast shooting.

When you need precison the 1 MOA center dot is sharp and will be even easier to use than the Aimpoint at longer distances because it will not cover as much of the target as the Aimpoint's 4 MOA dot.

With all that being said the first thing most people need to do is to learn how to properly use the EOTech.  First, you need to focus on the target not the reticle.  Also, most new users turn the brightness up way too high and this degrades the reticle clarity.  

There's also issues of eyesight correction, some people will have certain degrees of astigmatism that will effect how they see the reticle.  This will also cause issues with other red dot sights but some may work better then others.  It may just be a matter of trying both the EOTech and the Aimpoint to see which works best for you.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:23:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Yojimbo:

Originally Posted By Maverick656:

You guys seem to be forgetting the 65 MOA outer ring is for CQB and does not need to sharp.  It's for quick target focused aquisition on the move so you won't standing at your NPA, slinging up, working breath and heart rate control while carefully lining up everything for a perfect sight picture before pressing the trigger...  Seriously, try to think the 65 MOA outer ring as a big ghost ring for fast shooting.

When you need precison the 1 MOA center dot is sharp and will be even easier to use than the Aimpoint at longer distances because it will not cover as much of the target as the Aimpoint's 4 MOA dot.

With all that being said the first thing most people need to do is to learn how to properly use the EOTech.  First, you need to focus on the target not the reticle.  Also, most new users turn the brightness up way too high and this degrades the reticle clarity.  

There's also issues of eyesight correction, some people will have certain degrees of astigmatism that will effect how they see the reticle.  This will also cause issues with other red dot sights but some may work better then others.  It may just be a matter of trying both the EOTech and the Aimpoint to see which works best for you.

yojimbo... i'm suprised you haven't switched over to aimpoint yet... when you get that giff middy barrel... i better see an aimpoint or acog    jk bro
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:50:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jar3ds:

yojimbo... i'm suprised you haven't switched over to aimpoint yet... when you get that giff middy barrel... i better see an aimpoint or acog    jk bro

Why would he switch? The EOtech does the same thing the Aimpoint can do and for longer shots the 1MOA dot is going to be more accurate than the 4MOA dot.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:51:24 AM EDT
oh lord help us
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:56:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/29/2004 11:58:58 AM EDT by niceguymr]
Hey, leave this guy alone.  I had the EXACT same question when I got mine.

The most important thing is that you focus on the target, not the reticle.

The other problem I noticed was that if you wear glasses, you must wear them when looking through the EOTech, especially if you're nearsighted.  As someone here pointed out to me recently, The EOTechs are sighted out to 50 or 100 yards.  I was looking over the rim of my glasses into the sight, and the reticle was so fuzzy I thought I had a defective unit.  All I had to do was look through my lenses (of my eyeglasses) and everything cleared up.  

I've come to the conclusion that any fuzziness has to do with the users eyesight.  Since everyone's eyesight is not the same, people have different responses to it.  I'm sure I'm right on this because my experience shows that it was fuzzier without my glasses than with.  If it's still fuzzy and you wear glasses, I'll bet you need your prescription updated.

Lastly, even the slightest bit of fuzziness is eliminated once your eyes get comfortable using the sight.  Just remember to focus on the TARGET, NOT the sight.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 12:02:28 PM EDT

LOL I did switch...from the Aimpoint to the EOTech!

Seriously both the Aimpoint and EOTech are great optics and it's really a matter of what works for you.

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:18:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DOA:

Why would he switch? The EOtech does the same thing the Aimpoint can do and for longer shots the 1MOA dot is going to be more accurate than the 4MOA dot.

Oh God!  Please don't start another EoTech is better than Aimpoint thread.  I have the EoTech.  My friend has an Aimpoint.  I like them both.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:25:06 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:56:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Lumpy196:
Which means you have UN-TRAIN your iron sight skills....

A)  You can be skillfully trained in both - how difficult is it really to sight a target???
b)  I haven't heard many stories of EOTech failing in combat.  I can't imagine many instances where you'd have to rip off you're EOTech in a flash and use your BUIS because it malfunctions or the batteries wear down, but it's certainly possible.  The 552 has a few hundres hours of battery life (more than the Aimpoint), so with an extra pair of batteries, I wouldn't worry much about it.
c)  If your vision is bad enough where it impairs your use of the EOTech, it will impair your use of iron sights as well.  Make sure you're wearing your glasses for either.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 3:20:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By niceguymr:

You focus on the dot in your aimpoint?
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 3:23:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:12:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By brewsky101:

Originally Posted By niceguymr:

You focus on the dot in your aimpoint?

Yes.  I place it where I want it, then focus on the dot.  Its an old habit from shooting irons and pistols, and one I dont care to break.

Is that SOP for most people using red dots?  I was taught to keep both eyes open and focus on the target with red dot type optics.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:25:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DaPhotoGuy:
I was taught to keep both eyes open and focus on the target with red dot type optics.

me too
+1
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 9:23:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/2/2004 6:44:20 PM EDT by brewsky101]
Same here.

DifferentStrokesForDi­fferentFolks
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:19:31 PM EDT
I was taught to focus on target with just the iron sights too.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:24:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Hawker:
I was taught to focus on target with just the iron sights too.

That is definitely not conducive to accurate shooting.  You should initially focus on the target to get your sights close, then focus on the front sight and let the rear ghost out and the target blur.

With an optic, you are supposed to focus on the target.

Lumpy - Do you do the same with a scope...focus on the reticle rather than the target?
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:25:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Red-Leg:
Originally Posted By Hawker:

Lumpy - Do you do the same with a scope...focus on the reticle rather than the target?

Not sure how ACOGs work, but with a conventional optic, the ocular lens or parralax adjustemnt is adjusted to the point that the reticle and the target image are both in focus.  That's the beauty of the optic, both are in the same plane and there is no fuzziness.
Top Top