Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2003 8:51:06 PM EDT
Let's just say I had some "problems" mounting a cav-comp to my post ban barrel.

I'm thinking about buying a whole new upper just to avoid the embarrassment of taking this thing to a gun smith to salvage the usable parts from the upper.

What tools would I need to do it my self?

and please, I don't need any snide remarks, I've suffered enough.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 9:03:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

[url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=144270]Link[/url]

It is not a hard project if you have the correct tools. Good Luck!
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 10:51:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Get the block and the wrench, it is really pretty simple.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 7:58:27 AM EDT
[#3]
don't I need a head space gauge? or some pins too? or can I just use common house hold tools for those.?
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:22:15 AM EDT
[#4]
You've got IM Mail.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 3:51:38 PM EDT
[#5]
2 weeks ago I bought an M4 barrel at a gunshow, and another vendor said he'd install it for $15. In the time it took to go get something to drink, it was done. I'd say it's probably harder to change a spark plug than it is to change an AR barrel.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 4:07:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Am I wrong or are some of those lines for drinks at gunshows really really longgggggggggggggg?
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 5:38:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Am I wrong or are some of those lines for drinks at gunshows really really longgggggggggggggg?
View Quote

Zardoz is right, I've changed and built a few.  10 minutes max.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 7:02:29 PM EDT
[#8]
would some one explain what tools I need?
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 7:29:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
would some one explain what tools I need?
View Quote

Did you go to the link that I posted and follow the link within that one?

Here is a picture of all the most common tools.
[img]http://www.nrahq.org/publications/ssusa/graphics/ARtools.gif[/img]

The following link is to a manual that covers everything about the rifle, with step by step instructions. It is a .pdf file so you will need Adobe Acrobat to access it.
[url=http://www.ar15.com/content/books/TM9-1005-319-23.pdf]TM9-1005-319-23[/url]

Link Posted: 6/28/2003 7:43:47 PM EDT
[#10]
isn't there a page that explains just how to replace the barrle? i don't see the point of buying the barrle only If I wind up spending several hundreds on tools.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 3:24:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I would agree if you think this will be the only project you will undertake with an AR rifle. If you think that you may want to start building your own in the future then investing in the tools wouldn't be a bad idea.

To complete this project you will need at least a barrel wrench, barrel vice blocks/action blocks, hammer, correct size punches. The manual recommends that you torque the barrel nut; so if you follow that you will also need a torque wrench. You can easily go over $100 getting this stuff. If you want to save yourself an embarrassing trip to the local gunsmith as you said, well it may cost you a little bit to do so. You probably can get this job done for under $50 almost anywhere. I guess you have to figure out what is going to take a hit more, your pride or your wallet.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top