Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/22/2005 2:14:17 PM EDT
I just got my 1st bushmaster not to long ago, and was wanting to know is it better to have a chrome or polished blot then the stock black one???
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:23:13 PM EDT
Hard chrome is a better finish in many ways than phosphate coatings. However hard chrome if not propperly heat treated can cause hydrogen embrittlement. I have no reason to get a hard chromed bolt as there are better choices for coatings and platings. Id select the phosphate for cost purposes. You dont risk a bolt that will break at the cam pin hole and its the milspec finish. In other words sometimes yes but usually no is the answer to your question.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:11:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GREG17:
I just got my 1st bushmaster not to long ago, and was wanting to know is it better to have a chrome or polished blot then the stock black one???

Given that there is no corrosive primed .223 Rem or 5.56x45 ammo floating around, I don't really see a huge advantage to a chromed bolt over the standard one. Just keep your rifle clean and well oiled, and I bet you wouldn't see a significant enough difference in longevity for chromed to justify the cost difference.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:32:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/22/2005 5:32:20 PM EDT by bigbore]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:44:09 PM EDT
Get a chrome carrier if anything usually bout 50 bucks more...
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:00:24 PM EDT
I used to have a COLT chrome bolt... It was nice for easy cleaning... After shooting, to remove all the carbon build up, I would just buff it using my wire wheel on the Ole bench grinder... It would shine like new after a good cleaning... And then one day while buffing it, the thing slipped out of my hand and the force of the wire wheel tossed the thing across the room like a bullet... The bolt met a piece of iron on impact and cracked in two
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:27:02 PM EDT
Well that sucks!!! RIP crome bolt...
Top Top