Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/27/2015 1:50:40 PM EDT
If you pull the trigger of your AR while a rope gun lock is on it and safety off, will it hurt anything?  Is it bad for the rifle in any way?  Obviously, I'm talking about rifle unloaded and locked with one of the red rope gun locks.  Thanks
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 1:52:29 PM EDT
[#1]
ETA: I see, you meant dry-fire.

Still not sure how you'd do it, though.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 1:55:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes.  I'm not talking about firing a live round.  Dry fire with a cable/rope lock on it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 2:04:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know why you would, but no.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 2:08:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Dry firing without the upper...allowing the hammer to strike the bolt release/back of the maxwell... is never a good idea.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 2:09:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like a bad idea with no reward.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 2:35:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dry firing without the upper...allowing the hammer to strike the bolt release/back of the maxwell... is never a good idea.
View Quote

No.  The upper is on.  I'm talking about an unloaded, full rifle with a cable/rope lock.  You can still dry fire it.  Dry firing JUST the lower without the upper is always a no-no.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 2:58:46 PM EDT
[#7]
why would you do that and not just take it off?
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 3:01:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No.  The upper is on.  I'm talking about an unloaded, full rifle with a cable/rope lock.  You can still dry fire it.  Dry firing JUST the lower without the upper is always a no-no.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is the rope lock attached?

This is how it is supposed to be:

You will not be able to fire the rifle with a rope lock
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 3:29:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/zackmarrs/media/Mobile%20Uploads/40110000_zpsxxwokl5k.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah77/zackmarrs/Mobile%20Uploads/40110000_zpsxxwokl5k.jpg</a>

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/zackmarrs/media/Mobile%20Uploads/40110000_zpsxxwokl5k.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah77/zackmarrs/Mobile%20Uploads/40110000_zpsxxwokl5k.jpg</a>

You can still pull the trigger and bring it home assuming the bolt isn't locked back.  That's what I'm talking about.  If you put a lock like that on your rifle, take it off safety and try pulling the trigger.  The hammer releases.  Click.  I'm asking if doing that is in any way bad or can harm your firearm.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:50:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Why? Just take the lock off if you want to dry fire. And throw the lock in the trash while you're at it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 5:21:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You can still pull the trigger and bring it home assuming the bolt isn't locked back.  That's what I'm talking about.  If you put a lock like that on your rifle, take it off safety and try pulling the trigger.  The hammer releases.  Click.  I'm asking if doing that is in any way bad or can harm your firearm.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Injust tried that with my rifle, and the trigger pull is completely different

I see no point or reason to do this, just remove the lock
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 5:50:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just take the lock off and do it properly. It's 6 seconds of work.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 5:56:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Why? Just take the lock off if you want to dry fire. And throw the lock in the trash while you're at it.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 6:06:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I was simply curious whether it could hurt anything or not.  Obviously, it's pointless and not something I do, but I was just wondering if there's any harm done to the rifle, not whether it's good idea or not to do.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 6:31:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I was simply curious whether it could hurt anything or not.  Obviously, it's pointless and not something I do, but I was just wondering if there's any harm done to the rifle, not whether it's good idea or not to do.
View Quote

No, I don't think you'll hurt your weapon.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 6:45:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Your hammer would be smaking into the bottom edge of the bolt carrier grounp instead of the rear of the firing pin. So...... yes, eventually it could perhaps Nick the hammer.

so technically yes, it's putting stress where it doesn't belong. Realistically no, the parts are steel and not able to move full travel.

for derp avoidance , don't do it
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:28:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Your hammer would be smaking into the bottom edge of the bolt carrier grounp instead of the rear of the firing pin. So...... yes, eventually it could perhaps Nick the hammer.

so technically yes, it's putting stress where it doesn't belong. Realistically no, the parts are steel and not able to move full travel.

View Quote

Thanks!  Bump?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:32:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Thanks!  Bump?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!  Bump?

Don't do it.

Also, for added safety with the rope lock, run it behind the trigger as well. That way you won't even be tempted to dry fire it with the lock on.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:04:01 AM EDT
[#19]
what?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top