Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/18/2003 6:29:21 PM EDT
I have a chance to buy a LNIB springfield Gen II 4-14x56 for $400, or a Gen III 4-14x56 for $530. The only difference I can see between these two scopes is the illuminated reticle. So the question is, is it worth $130?
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 6:43:15 PM EDT
Depends. Are you ever going to try to shoot a long distance indistinct target at night? My Loopy illuminated gave me a decisive advantage in the sniper comp earlier this month.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 6:44:28 PM EDT
YES! Even during daylight, when shooting from a sunny area into a shaded area, the reticle works great for standing out in the dark. Your eyes are adjusted to the ambient light, so when you are looking at a dark area, the reticle vanishes. Illuminated reticle is the first thing I look for. Some way to judge range is 2nd. (Mil-Dot/MOA marks). NightForce is excellent, a bit heavy, and bit expensive. ATN makes a very good cheapie fixed 5x (no complaints). Cannot say the same about variable power ATN's, though.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 4:56:56 AM EDT
The illuminated reticle in my Trijicon TA-31 makes it much easier and quicker for my eye to pickup the reticle. The next long range scope I get for my Remington LTR (it currently has a Leupold Vari-X III) will have an illuminated reticle. Simply put, an illuminated reticle never hurts - it only helps.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 6:57:49 PM EDT
As was said, Illuminated reticle can never hurt, only help. I forgot to mention: Make sure you turn it off when finished using it. Battery will go for a very long time if turned on only when needed, and remembered to be turned off... (when they going to put a motion sensor/auto-on/off swtich on these?). [:D]
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 7:19:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/19/2003 7:20:00 PM EDT by Duffy]
Mine has a clapper activated on/off switch [:d] [img]www.youcansave.com/images/clapper-pic.jpg[/img]
Top Top