Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/18/2003 6:29:21 PM EDT
I have a chance to buy a LNIB springfield Gen II 4-14x56 for $400, or a Gen III 4-14x56 for $530. The only difference I can see between these two scopes is the illuminated reticle. So the question is, is it worth $130?
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 6:43:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends.

Are you ever going to try to shoot a long distance indistinct target at night?

My Loopy illuminated gave me a decisive advantage in the sniper comp earlier this month.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 6:44:28 PM EDT
[#2]
YES!

Even during daylight, when shooting from a sunny area into a shaded area, the reticle works great for standing out in the dark.  Your eyes are adjusted to the ambient light, so when you are looking at a dark area, the reticle vanishes.

Illuminated reticle is the first thing I look for.  Some way to judge range is 2nd. (Mil-Dot/MOA marks).  NightForce is excellent, a bit heavy, and bit expensive.  ATN makes a very good cheapie fixed 5x (no complaints).  Cannot say the same about variable power ATN's, though.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 4:56:56 AM EDT
[#3]
The illuminated reticle in my Trijicon TA-31 makes it much easier and quicker for my eye to pickup the reticle.

The next long range scope I get for my Remington LTR (it currently has a Leupold Vari-X III) will have an illuminated reticle.

Simply put, an illuminated reticle never hurts - it only helps.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 6:57:49 PM EDT
[#4]
As was said, Illuminated reticle can never hurt, only help.

I forgot to mention:  Make sure you turn it off when finished using it.  Battery will go for a very long time if turned on only when needed, and remembered to be turned off... (when they going to put a motion sensor/auto-on/off swtich on these?).  [:D]
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 7:19:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine has a clapper activated on/off switch [:d]
[img]www.youcansave.com/images/clapper-pic.jpg[/img]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top