Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2011 4:42:48 PM EDT
Most everyone I've ever talked to that has an amber reticle says it would be better if it were red or green.  The Trijicon Reflex for example looks like it would be a cool sight but for it's amber colored dot.  Why do they even bother making amber dots to begin with?  I've been told it washes out easily, also it's huge 6.5 MOA is something I don't quite understand, they should have gone with no more than a 4 MOA dot, ideally 2 MOA.  What do you guys with amber reticles think?
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:24:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I prefer amber. My old eyes do not play well with red reticles, especially when tired. I have 2 Triijicons with amber, and was happy when my Burris Tac 30 3-9 arrived with an illuminated reticle closer to orange than red.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:44:07 AM EDT
[#2]
If you were an urban commando or shooting against a dark/dirt berm I'm sure it'd work fine. Trying to line a light yellow/amber reticle up on a light skinned deer running through a bright grass field just doesn't work.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 9:24:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If you were an urban commando or shooting against a dark/dirt berm I'm sure it'd work fine. Trying to line a light yellow/amber reticle up on a light skinned deer running through a bright grass field just doesn't work.

I used a reflex II on my issued m16 a decade ago. The sight was pretty rugged and really light weight, but the amber reticule was shitty in my humble opinion. In most circumstances it was fine ( easy to see etc) but when used in a brightly lit environment it washed out––ie the dot could not easily seen or distinguish where the dot was. I had to use a polarizing filter in the sandbox. Indoors use, the combination of white light and light colored walls also created a wash out problem.  I did really like the the idea of the it was always on (no batteries to worry about dying) size, weight, and ruggedness of the unit. It was manufactured with typical trijicon quality- pretty high.  I believe they sell an updated model, that combines fiber optics aka  acog style, with the tritium, and has battery illuminated reticule also.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 12:32:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I have two amber mini Acogs and have no real problems.  That said NW Ohio is more of a lush environment than say Arizona.   The mission drives the tools.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 12:39:17 PM EDT
[#5]
TR-23 here with amber triangle on a post.

Amber is the clearest color to my eye in the environments I shoot in.

I've had red and green reticles on other electronic sights and the amber is much better for me.

As always...YMMV.  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top