Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2011 10:45:10 AM EDT
I'm starting a new build, and I'm considering a ported barrel. Technically speaking, how do they function different than any other muzzle device. I don't have to have it, I just think it look's cool. Also, a lot of the barrel's I'm seeing is .223 Wylde. Any reason not to use that. I'm just building a Safe Queen paper puncher. I don't have to have match grade. I just want it to look like what I want.

Here's one I like.

Also, I'm really wanting a fluted Stainless Steel barrel.  Is there any down side to that. I could live with out the porting.

Here a Sabre Defense that I like.

Here's the look I'm going for, with or with out the porting.

Ultimately, this is close to what I'm going for except with a 16" mid length barrel. Just a few change's maybe. I would really prefer a Stainless Steel barrel over a black one, but at this point, I'll take what I can get.

First, I want to say thanks to those of you who posted pic's for everyone to see. It really help's a guy decide what he's going for.

Now the only problem is I can't find a barrel anywhere that comes close to what I want. I've tried all the advertiser's at the top of the page. No luck. Can you guy's point me to some barrel manufacturer's, or at least place's that sell them. Thanks.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:07:01 AM EDT
[#1]
A ported barrel is going to help lower felt recoil.  The downside is that most of them are loud as hell.  The Wylde chamber will be fine.  Sabre is (last I heard) out of business.   Look at the vendor tabs above or go to the industy section to find a barrel.  If you can't find the config. you want, you can buy a s.s. 16" middy and send it to adco and have it fluted.  MSTN may be able to set you up with a barrel like the pic you posted.

eta:  it appears mstn is no longer
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:26:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm in the market for a barrel my self.
I'm personally getting a 16" SS Middy straight from Lothar Walther and then sending it to ADCO to get fluted. I hope to place the order for the barrel today.

As far as the ported barrel goes. I guess it's just like an integrated muzzle device. Just cleaner and doesn't come off like a regular threaded one.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:52:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm in the market for a barrel my self.
I'm personally getting a 16" SS Middy straight from Lothar Walther and then sending it to ADCO to get fluted. I hope to place the order for the barrel today.

As far as the ported barrel goes. I guess it's just like an integrated muzzle device. Just cleaner and doesn't come off like a regular threaded one.

What's that going to run you.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:59:46 PM EDT
[#4]
That's a muzzle brake that looks like a ported barrel.  I think it's this one.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:08:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That's a muzzle brake that looks like a ported barrel.  I think it's this one.

OOOO!! I like that. Awful pricey though. I guess if ya wanna play,ya gotta pay.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:11:58 PM EDT
[#6]
So if I'm mostly just going to shoot Remington 55 gr boat tail's from Wal-Mart, what twist of barrel would be best. I had someone tell me 1:9. Is this true. I'll mostly be shooting at an indoor range until I can find a better place to shoot. This means not very long distance.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:09:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Barrel is 175.00 + shipping
Fluting from ADCO is 120.00 + Shipping.

ADCO Services

LW AR15 Barrels There prices changed a bit, just email them for a quote, but expect a delay in response a lot of the staff is at shows.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:51:27 AM EDT
[#8]
COL

Best advice is to be patient.  1/9 twist will run 55 grain bullets just fine but why not just wait and get a 1/8 or 1/7 that will stabilize heavier bullet weights better.  You might get a deal on some 68 grain or get some 75 or 77 grain down the road.  

It also depends on what kind of money you want to spend.  Rainier Arms has some nice barrels.   Noveske.... but you pay a premium.  If you want to have it fluted then send it to ADCO.  

Just my .02 cents

Good Luck

Striker
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:11:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Barrel is 175.00 + shipping
Fluting from ADCO is 120.00 + Shipping.

ADCO Services

LW AR15 Barrels There prices changed a bit, just email them for a quote, but expect a delay in response a lot of the staff is at shows.

Is that for a LW-50 barrel.

I found a guy that has a LW-50 with a 1:8 twist,  233 Wylde, medium weight, fluted,  for $380. If yours is a LW-50,,that's a much better price. So is yours a LW-50.

Wich twist would be better for the 55gr bullet's. 1:8 or 1:9.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:38:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
COL

Best advice is to be patient.  1/9 twist will run 55 grain bullets just fine but why not just wait and get a 1/8 or 1/7 that will stabilize heavier bullet weights better.  You might get a deal on some 68 grain or get some 75 or 77 grain down the road.  

It also depends on what kind of money you want to spend.  Rainier Arms has some nice barrels.   Noveske.... but you pay a premium.  If you want to have it fluted then send it to ADCO.  

Just my .02 cents

Good Luck

Striker

Truthfully, I don't have any place to shoot except for an indoor range. So I'll most likely just buy my ammo from Walmart. It's the 55gr Remington.

I do how ever have nearly all the reloading equipment for 223. But whats the use for an indoor range. I would love to find a place to shoot. Then I'll consider a different ammo.

With that being said, which of these 2 barrel's do you think would be best for me.

Wilson Combat 1:9 twist, heavy weight barrel, fluted for $300.

Lother Walther 1:8 twist, medium weight barrel, fluted for $380. They will extend the length under the gas block to accept the Larue gas block that I really want to use. They will also dimple it. I really like this being a little lighter weight. At least I think I do. How must weight saving's is there actually. May not even be significant.

I was hoping to find something cheaper.. But I am building a top of the line gun. So a $100 more will just put off the completion date.

I'm kinda thinking that the barrel TOM TOM has posted is not the exact barrel as I'm talking about. I would  really like to find out though. Waiting for him to chime back in.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:30:09 PM EDT
[#11]
LW's website kinda sucks but from what I read HERE I think it's LW19.

I'm actually not sure where to get the LW50's at.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top