Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2010 6:38:07 AM EDT
Asking anyone with direct experience. Specifically, I am looking at the Daniel Defense A1.5 fixed rear sight. If I have this sight installed behind a microdot, will it impede on my ability to acquire targets? DD vaguely says that it will not in their item description. So is it best to stick to flip sights when using a red dot?
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:53:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the A1.5 behind a T-1 on a DD mount, so lower 1/3 co-witness. I don't find it a problem at all.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:59:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have the A1.5 behind a T-1 on a DD mount, so lower 1/3 co-witness. I don't find it a problem at all.

Thanks for your reply. Does it affect your FOV at all? Can you still shoot with both eyes open? Do you have to look through the peep hole to get a cheek weld and see the red dot? or can you simply look above the peep hole and still use the dot comfortably?
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 7:32:55 AM EDT
[#3]
No effect on FOV and I shoot both eyes open always. I shoot nose-to-charging-handle without looking through the rear sight but with a slight nod I can pick up irons without altering cheek weld.

With that said, I sometimes wish I had a flip up rear (A1.5 came with my DD XV upper) so I could mount a magnified optic without removing irons. But I wanted a very simple setup on this rifle and a scoped AR build will probably be in my future anyway. If your intention is to stay unmagnified the A1.5 will be fine and you will adapt to it.

FOV

Cowitness

Edited for half-assed pics of what I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 9:11:17 AM EDT
[#4]
No problems here.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 9:32:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Hero, that's a hot setup there!

OP, I use a flip-up rear sight with my EOTech (absolute co-witness), as when I have the rear sight deployed and the EOTech turned on, I tend to focus on the rear sight instead of the red dot.

I suggest you try out both setups before you make a decision.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 9:36:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Same here, no problems. When using the aimpoint the rear sight doesn't even register.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 10:48:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hero, that's a hot setup there!

OP, I use a flip-up rear sight with my EOTech (absolute co-witness), as when I have the rear sight deployed and the EOTech turned on, I tend to focus on the rear sight instead of the red dot.

I suggest you try out both setups before you make a decision.

Thanks!

I agree, try both setups out before you buy to see what works best for you.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top