Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/3/2003 9:12:53 PM EDT
I am ready to buy a bushmaster Varminter as my first AR for coyote hunting but have heard that the 24" barrel is too long for cheap (plinking) ammo and that it will have a shotgun grouping. I want to use the gun for 300yd hunting and target shooting but would also like to enjoy the accasional blasting without harming my gun and still being able to shoot accurate with hand loads.  Anybody have experience with cheap ammo in a varminter?  Does it damage the barrel in any way besides normal wear?  This is my only hang-up on whether to buy or not.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 11:24:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Sheesh, whomever told you that is really full of it. While the Varminter isnt really a plinker persay, it is an ACCURATE gun. Clearly it will be more accurate with better ammo, and I dont know if I would shoot mil-spec ammo through it with its match chamber, but the varminter will still be considerably accurate with inexpensive commercial loads like Federal American Eagle and others.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 4:05:08 AM EDT
[#2]
The Varminter is extremly accurate but of course does not have a chrome lined barrel so if you are going to be burning lots of ammo up plinking you will wear out your expensive barrel much sooner.  If plinking is your main priority think about getting an additional AR15 for that purpose there are some great deals out there right now and you can pick up a complete rifle for around $600.00 for plinking which is only a little more than a complete upper would be.   my .02
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 12:24:31 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks for the much needed advice, I guess I'll order the varminter so I'll feel bad about putting cheap ammo in it...thennnn...buy my second AR.  I was hoping to have the best of both worlds but I guess having two worlds is best.  What plinking AR can I get for 600clams?  Thanks again guys.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 1:51:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Go to the Bushmaster forum in the Industry section.  A recent thread covered the issue of mil-spec ammo in the Varminter.  The moderator of the forum, A BUSHMASTER EMPLOYEE, stated there that it is FINE to shoot cheap, mil-spec ammo with this rifle.  That being said, I'm not going to do it in mine because the it is made to be accurate and I want to use accurate rounds.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 2:30:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Longer barrel = less accuracy?  He's been smoking something..[:)]

Your biggest concern will be wearing out the barrel plinking - no matter what ammo you use for it.

Another option is to buy just a second upper reciever for plinking.  Find a used one for $250-$300 if you are patient.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 11:39:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Is a Barrett 50BMG suitable for plinking? Oh hell yes. Is it practical, no. Yea, you would wear out the chrome lined barell.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top