Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2003 7:57:28 PM EDT
Any advice would be appreciated,

I want to buy one of these:  14.5" M4 barrel (vortex to be perm. attached by me), chrome lined chamber/bore in 5.56, 1-9 twist.  I plan on shooting nothing but M193 and occasionally some 62 gr, I have bigger guns for heavier bullets!

Bushmaster seems to have exactly what I want, even has a forged front sight base.  Any opinions or problems with this barrel?

How about any other source for 1-9 twist M4 barrels?

Thanks,

Scot
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 10:35:22 PM EDT
[#1]
The length of a barrel is the trait which most dictates the use of the rifle.  The shorter the barrel, the more "CQB style" the rifle.  The best barrel for you depends on what you plan on using that particuler rifle for.

The barrel you have mentioned is probably the best choice IMHO.  Bushies are excellent quality and priced well.

As long as you shoot the 55 and 62 gr I don't see a problem with the 1/9.  Those are the more common twists so they will be easier (and cheaper) to come by.  (I'm a 1/7 type shooter)

The vortex is a kick ass suppressor.  I'm curious to know how you plan to permanently attach it.

Let us know how you turn out.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 7:26:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I already have .223 ARs, one with a 16" fluted Hbar, and another 20" Hbar (neither of which is chrome lined) so now I want something more "mil-spec"... thus the M4 profile, 5.56 chamber and chrome lining.

I have attached muzzlebrakes on FALs with 1100 degree silver solder.  That works well, didn't affect accuracy in the 2 FALs I did, but did require refinishing the barrels / brakes.  Plus, they are easy to take off... heat 'em up and twist.  Of course, that much heat on a barrel still worries me so I might try blind pinning the Vortex.

I'm sure you've seen the CMMG (DPMS?) 14.5" M4 barrels, 1-7 twist with Phantom hider attached.  That would work too, but I don't like the cast front sight base plus you're limited to the types of handguards (can't easily remove the front sight base w/ the perm. attached Phantom).

Scot
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 7:44:46 AM EDT
[#3]
The M4 barrel if it is not attached to an SBR is a bad idea.

14.5in balistics and attaching a 2.24in FH to get it to 16.1inches.  Why not just make it 17inches and use a 16inch chrome lined 1/9 M4 with STD A2 FH?

Attach a FF RAS MRE and no one will really be able to tell it is a 16in M4 anyway. And you will have a gun 1 inch longer with 100yds more range than a 14.5 M4.

I'll admit the short length of the M4 is handy and so I will call it even with an SBR because then you are dealing with a approx 15.5in assembly including Flash hider.  

[b] One more thing Bushmaster offers the M4 and 20in A2 barrels in a 1/7 twist. that is the only other reason I can see to have the M4 barrel without an SBR.

Want to hunt larger game or at longer range (77grain ammo is where it's at- the 77grain ammo doesn't stabilize in a 1/9.) the 1/7 allows you to shoot anything from 55 to 80grains.[/b]
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 11:26:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 12:26:07 PM EDT
[#5]
"Mil- spec"...Ahhh yes.

I think the pinned option is the way to go.  I know that a lot of brakes and suppressors have been silverd on like that, but I to would be a bit nervous about applying that much heat.

I will soon be purchasing one of the CMMG barrels you speak of.  I'm after the "M4 look" so it's perfect for me.  Those barrels already have the deeper ramps cut in them to match my upper, 1/7, and the phantom/vortex suppressors are far superior to the A2 so I would be tossing the A2 anyway.  

Sometimes the cold dips to -40 F around here in the winter so if I get really bored I'll just change the front sight post.

I wholeheartedly agree with GreenO on the twist issues.  M4 users avoid the lighter rounds, that kind of limits the bullet options with a 1/9.  With a 1/7 the M193 will work just fine and you will still have the option for going heavier.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 12:30:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Gee, I just posted on this very topic...kind of.

I have a Colt HBAR 16" 1/9 A3 upper that I want to cut down and perm attach the vortex to make 16" WITH the FS.  Any suggestions where I could go to have my barrel cut and FS installed?

Eric

ps. Had 16" HBAR Bushmaster before and it shot sweet!  Very nice quality.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 12:37:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Kurts Custom Firearms.  He is on the Industry Forums.  Excellent work from what everybody says.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 9:23:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Kurt does excellent work, he turned a 14.5" HBAR barrel to M4 spec for me a few years ago, and turned a lightweight Dissipator a couple of years ago.  At the time neither of these barrels were available or not made at all.  Both are excellent quality and shooters.

With good M4 barrels in stock most places just buy one and sell the HBAR.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 9:31:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
And you will have a gun 1 inch longer with 100yds more range than a 14.5 M4.
View Quote

Not on this planet, Green.  Yes, there is some increase, but it isn't huge, especially with M193.

-Troy
View Quote

I'll second that.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 10:50:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Bushmaster barrels are excellent.  I get great accuracy out of my 16" M4.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 2:42:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I have one that I bought with Bushmaster's comp already attached.  I like the barrel, it cleans up easily, seems to shoot well, and is a handy length.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 2:57:41 PM EDT
[#12]
On my latest build on a MEGA upper and lower, I went with the Bushy "Patrolmans Carbine" Neutered barrel assy. M4 profile,16", chromelined, 1X9 and complete ready to install for $209.00.

You ought to see the muzzle flash with wcc844!

Danny
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 7:48:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the advice on the Bushy barrel.  Every AR I've built so far (4), I keep wishing I had done something different.  Ex:  none with chromelined barrels (2 stainless, 2 moly).

So, now I want to try and build a no compromise AR, as "mil-spec" as possible.  When it's done I want to say, "I wouldn't change a thing."  Fools errand, I fear!

Scot
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top