Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/8/2005 8:54:47 PM EDT
I'm going to be building a rifle that'll be able to do it all.  Compact enough to use it indoors with proper optics, and accurate enough to shoot MOA using proper optics.  At the same time it'll have to preform any task in between such as hunting, plinking, and anything else  I could use it for.

I beat on my weapons pretty hard but take maticulous care of them at the same time.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:59:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I think I might be getting one of those recon barrels that Denny at GTS sells.  I am looking for what you are looking for and I think this fits the bill.
Chris
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:05:33 PM EDT
[#2]
It should be an excellent choice.   SS barrels won't stand up as well to severe abuse, but they'll typically be more accurate if cared for properly.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:10:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the GTS one...top notch and very accurate too.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:13:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It should be an excellent choice.   SS barrels won't stand up as well to severe abuse, but they'll typically be more accurate if cared for properly.

By severe abuse do you mean FA?  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:17:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Each additional round fired with a hot barrel, and the hotter the barrel is, reduces the useful barrel life.

If I were going to shoot a lot of FA or do a lot of close-range drills, a stainless barrel would not be my first choice.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:20:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Personally, I'd have a 20" to do it all.

But thats just me.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:53:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Each additional round fired with a hot barrel, and the hotter the barrel is, reduces the useful barrel life.

If I were going to shoot a lot of FA or do a lot of close-range drills, a stainless barrel would not be my first choice.

I doubt i'll be doing a lot of close range drills.  I'll build a dedicated rifle for that if the need ever came up.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:55:55 PM EDT
[#8]
The way I do it is:  uppers I want to maintain accuracy in, I build up with high quality SS match barrels and try not to abuse too badly.   (That said, the JP SS barrel I shot at the ITRC still shoots very good.)

Then I designate a couple uppers as ones for hosing and close range practice where accuracy is not critical and shoot the piss out of them.

-z
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:40:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The way I do it is:  uppers I want to maintain accuracy in, I build up with high quality SS match barrels and try not to abuse too badly.   (That said, the JP SS barrel I shot at the ITRC still shoots very good.)

Then I designate a couple uppers as ones for hosing and close range practice where accuracy is not critical and shoot the piss out of them.

-z

I'll probably end up getting a 14.5 later on down the road just for that purpose and eventually building a second rifle out of it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:07:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I got the 16" WOA that Adco has. I think it is well worth the cost. It took two shots to get the Aimpoint sighted, and it hasn't been off since. I don't have much for a scope. I am going to put a 3x9 cheapy on it tomorrow, and try that out some.

I think the ones Denny and Jtac have are a little lighter profile than the Adco one. Not sure about that, but I think they're lighter under the hand guard.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:12:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I got the 16" WOA that Adco has. I think it is well worth the cost. It took two shots to get the Aimpoint sighted, and it hasn't been off since. I don't have much for a scope. I am going to put a 3x9 cheapy on it tomorrow, and try that out some.

I think the ones Denny and Jtac have are a little lighter profile than the Adco one. Not sure about that, but I think they're lighter under the hand guard.

any pics?

I'm planning on doing the 16 woa with a super sniper 10x on top.   I honestly don't think the barrel will get beat on much, considering I don't have much time or money to shoot.  It'll probably see 1000rds of Green tip of FMJ and 500rds of match ammo per year.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:44:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I thought about which one to get. I decided to go with Adco's becuse it was heavier profiled. I have the specter length system from YHM on it. I would like to do a 9" system instead. Over all, I very happy with this barrel. As it sets on a RRA lower serial# SPR02, I suppose I will have to buy an 18" next.

ETA: fixed pics, sorry not the best photos
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top