Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/9/2005 4:42:02 AM EDT

ok, here is the deal. i've always wanted a TA11 or TA31 for my M4, but Trijicon has been backed up for so long with military stuff i guess.

well, i've heard that Trijicon had "increased capacity" a short while ago, and i started seeing TA11's again. i cobbled together every penny i could (seriously, it was a wwwwwaaaaaaaayyyy over-expenditure for me) and finally got me a TA 11F.

when i finally took delivery [about two weeks ago] i can honestly say i was downright disappointed. maybe i got a bum optic, but i don't think i would have paid $500 for it, nevermind double that. here is why:

1: finish is consistant in color, but looks like it done on a pitted housing or re-done on an original crappy finish. what i mean is, imagine someone chipped the hell out of the paint on your car, then re-painted over it in the same color without smoothing it in any way first.

2: chevron is black on all 3 outer tips. i seem to remember someone saying a while back that non-illuminated tips were normal, but c'mon...

3: the channel in which the fiber optic rests looks like it was mis-machined. by that i mean that the band of metal that protects the fiber optic on one side is fairly thick, while the band on the other side is razor thin. thin enough where i'm fairly sure a light blow to the top of the scope would probably crack a piece of aluminum off.

4: it took quite a few turns to get the scope zeroed. it said in the manual that the sights were normally pretty close to zero from the factory and that only a tweak would be required. i was shooting about 1.5 feet high and about 1.5 feet left at 100yds. now, i got it zeroed, but i gotta think i'm damned close to the extents of the reticle.

so, what say you?

did i get a part that just barely squeaked through QC, or were my expectations too high?

i know someone is going to say, "...well, it still works, so what are you bitching about?" well, i am kind of bitching. for $1000 i kind of think the TA11 should have been MINT. in the past i've owned EOtechs and Aimpoints, and they've both looked and worked near perfect from the factory. given the choice, and now knowing what to expect, i'd be hard pressed to even reccommend the TA series.

oh, and before anyone asks, no i'm not going to sell it for cheap.

input...?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:01:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By bullyforyou:
input...?

Before you get input you should give use more output in the form of pics. I'd like to see exactly what you're talking before I pass judgement.

I have never heard or read of any one being dissatisfied with the aesthetics of an ACOG.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:08:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Matt_B:

Originally Posted By bullyforyou:
input...?

Before you get input you should give use more output in the form of pics. I'd like to see exactly what you're talking before I pass judgement.

I have never heard or read of any one being dissatisfied with the aesthetics of an ACOG.

i knew someone was going to ask for pics. the only digital camera i have access to is stuffed away in a storage unit an hour away from where i'm staying, and i only have a computer at work.

i'll see what i can do, but it won't be until tomorrow morning if i can get someo pics up at all...

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:22:18 AM EDT
[optics snob] BLASPHEMY!! [optics snob]

j/k
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:27:32 AM EDT
To be honest, the 2 or 3 ACOGS I've seen haven't impressed me in terms of the glass, but they all looked brand new, as they were NIB.

I just got a Trijicon Accupoint, and the glass in this is very nice...nicer than what I remember the ACOGS being.

Don't know what that has to do with anything, but I that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:09:00 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:44:11 AM EDT

paul, thanks for all the information. that's exactly what i was looking for.

i think i'll eventually like the TA11 quite a bit, i'm just not sure it was worth the extra dough over another aimpoint, for me anyhow.

i was kind of surprised at the appearance of what i though was the finish. now that you say this is normal, i just realized these parts are made from aluminum forgings. they probably hammer them into shape as closely as possible (to alleviate some machining). the end result is going to be a strong part, with a bit of inconsistancy on the surface. so it makes sense.

as far as the mount goes, i ended up buying an ARMS 19 for it and changing over from the original. i haven't had a chance to shoot again since i swapped mounts though, so i don't know if my POA/POI changed at all.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:28:22 AM EDT
i love all of my acogs.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:03:02 PM EDT
You're not alone........
My ACOG NSN had a slightly tilted reticle (with multiple guns and mounts), and the front "backup" sight on top fell out of its too loose dovetail within 10 shots. The yellow reticle was WAY too dim for anything but pitch black nights. And the exterior finish was rough, with ugly uneven crooked cast lines on it.
Definately not what I expect/demand from a $750+ optic.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:45:58 PM EDT
I have a TA31F and like you expected it to be zeroed and it was at least a foot high at 50yds. Adjusted and zeroed now though.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:53:26 PM EDT
I'm curious to know how on earth you people expect to take an optic out of the box and have it be zeroed to your particular rifle.

Is this your first forray into the world of optics or were you just thinking that a measly $1k entitled you to a miracle?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:54:33 PM EDT

input...?

Do you REALLY want mine?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:04:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By autonut:
I have a TA31F and like you expected it to be zeroed and it was at least a foot high at 50yds. Adjusted and zeroed now though.

No manufacturer can determine the proper zero for your rifle at the factory. There are far too many mitigating factors such as:
- mount
- height above bore axis (affected by the mount)
- ammo
- bbl length
- the range you zero the optic at.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:05:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Lumpy196:

input...?

Do you REALLY want mine?

I do.

WAIT! Let me get the popcorn.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:36:36 PM EDT
Bully,

I cannot add much to this about your sight in particular, but I will add my thoughts on your zeroing.

Usually optics come not zeroed, but mechanically centered. This means that the horiz. and vert. dials are center in their limits of travel. Normally I crank the dials all the way in both directions and count clicks. Divide by 2 and you should have the center of the adjustment range. If your that concerned about where you are at with your scope, perform that test. You might find that it came uncentered, and you may not be off as far as you think. This procedure will at least give you some idea of where you are at, and what you have left.

Craig
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:03:39 AM EDT
Bully

I also just purchased a TA11 with red Chevron within the past 3 weeks.

1. The finish appears smooth and even on mine
2. I see no black on any side of my chevron, everything is red where it should be
3. My Fiber optic channels also go from thick to thin
4. I also had to zero the scope after mounting with the included Trijicon base mount. It was about 15-20 clicks too high and a full rotation and a half to the right. (so like an entire 'hour and a half' turn off)

It is now a tackdriver over the Colt 6920 it's mounted on and I hope you send an email to Trijicon to express your issues, I've only heard great things about their customer service myself!

Good luck and let us all know how it turns out!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:01:42 AM EDT
i'll give you fo-fitty for it and pay shipping!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:07:50 PM EDT
Just picked up my first ever ACOG yesterday, it's an TA01-NSN and I couldn't be more pleased !
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:22:24 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:54:08 PM EDT
i just dropped my TA11F onto hard porcelein tile from 3 feet or so and it landed right on the fucking acog.....
no problems whatsoever, after i dislodged my heart from my skull.....
this one was new in May 05. honestly haven't examined the finish that closely, cuz i really couldn't care less how it looks when i'm dropping bombs on 12" plates at 400+ yards....

YMMV
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:28:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 62nd_Assassin:
i just dropped my TA11F onto hard porcelein tile from 3 feet or so and it landed right on the fucking acog.....
no problems whatsoever, after i dislodged my heart from my skull.....
this one was new in May 05. honestly haven't examined the finish that closely, cuz i really couldn't care less how it looks when i'm dropping bombs on 12" plates at 400+ yards....

YMMV

Note to self, never buy used TA11F from 62nd_Assassin...
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:13:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By dport:

Originally Posted By Lumpy196:

input...?

Do you REALLY want mine?

I do.

WAIT! Let me get the popcorn.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:40:05 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:30:20 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:24:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By new-arguy:
I just bought a new RCO-A4 and a TA31F about 6 months ago. I actually sold the TA31F to purchase the RCO A4, but both of them were no better or worse than any of my other ACOGs. I just think people have different ideas about what these scopes shoud be.

how do you like the RCO?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:04:45 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:03:44 PM EDT
The donut on my TA11 started having a black corner during the middle of a class. Glad I had a backup AR. When I sent it to Trijicon, they said it was a defective prism assembly. They replaced it for free, and also swapped in a new fiber optic tube without the bubbles. Even the four assembly screws were replaced with new ones. They shipped it back for free.

I bought it used, and the warranty card was never even filled out. No hassles- Their customer service was fantastic.

Top Top