Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/16/2006 12:42:26 PM EDT
I noticed Cabela's is now selling a product called "Perma Gel". Unlike other ballistics gel, this product claims to be stable enough to not melt and is also stable enough that it can be shipped in block form (28lbs of mixture makes two 5"x5"x17" blocks at $130 or you can buy two blocks already formed for $150).

So is Perma-Gel equivalent to traditional ballistics gel for testing purposes?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:49:24 PM EDT
Perma-gel

Perma-Gel™ Ballistic Gelatin Kit
Use Perma-Gel Ballistic Gelatin to evaluate the performance of your rifle and pistol cartridges by measuring penetration and recovering bullets. It's superior to the ballistic gelatin products used today by law-enforcement experts. Perma-Gel replicates game-animal body tissue and muscle, will not decompose, and it is reusable up to 10 times with proper care. The Perma-Gel Kit includes 28 lbs. of Perma-Gel Gelatin raw mixture, a secured temperature roaster oven, glass divider, magnetic clips and instructions for melting, recycling and reforming the gelatin for repeated use.

I'm interested also, though I really have no desire to become a internet ballistics ninja.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:16:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/16/2006 1:18:08 PM EDT by Truckie351]
I talked to the man that invented Perma-Gel and he said that it works fine for rifle ammo but not for handgun ammo. I don't recall what he said about the reason. He is working on some that will be good for both. He also said it can be reused and doesn't smell bad like the animal-based gel.

To determine if it is equal to the gel the FBI uses you need to test it with a .177 pellet and compare its penatration to the results the FBI gets.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:11:07 PM EDT
We have begun assessing this material--it offers some interesting options and is getting better all the time, but is not yet developed fully enough to replace gelatin for our needs. It seems to work best for unobstructed handgun shots. With rifle shots, the temporary cavity does not appear to be properly represented.

Saw one web sight that made numerous errors in the use of the material, including too small a block for the caliber tested and inadequate interpretation of the test results: www.theoutdoorquest.com/perma-gel_ballistic_gelatin.htm
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:34:26 PM EDT
That croc-pot they include with the kit will keep alot of wives happy.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:41:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DocGKR:
... With rifle shots, the temporary cavity does not appear to be properly represented.

But how is it for depth & fragmentation/expansion of intermediate rifle rounds (5.56 & 6.8SPC in particular)?

Will it do for us or should we stick with water?

Thanks,
Forest
Top Top