Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2014 11:27:50 PM EDT
I was wondering if FrogLube's solvent/bore cleaner was okay to use on other parts of the rifle like BCG and bolt?  It won't dry out or hurt the metal if I use it for cleaning every time; right?

I'm not talking about the CLP, just the solvent.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 4:07:24 AM EDT
[#1]
It won't hurt anything to use it on other parts.  After using a solvent on anything that typically gets lubrication, the lubrication should be reapplied.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 5:54:51 AM EDT
[#2]
you can but you're  defeating the point of using FL in the first place.  If you are removing the FL with the solvent and having to re season the metal every time, thats a lot of money wasted and never getting to where you want to be with the lube.  May as well just go with regular clp.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 7:26:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't waste your money.  I started getting failures with FL, went back to Slip 2K.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 10:41:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Frog lube solvent does not work as well as Mpro7 cleaner or Slip 725 cleaner IME. it is also very expensive.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 12:34:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't waste your money.  I started getting failures with FL, went back to Slip 2K.
View Quote

Same here, only I'm on FireClean right now.  I've always ones Slip 2000EWL 30w though.

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 4:24:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Did you price that stuff..? It's stupid expensive and does not work nearly as well as some other solvents for a fraction of the price.

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:44:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Their solvent generally doesn't get a lot of good reviews FWIW.  

I'm currently just using FL as a CLP.   I did my own testing for rust prevention and lubricity which matched a couple of other folks testing and it won out although I still ahve questions as to it's shelf life.

Fireclean unfortunately I haven't found any 'regular guy' tests where it was put up against all the other LP's and CLP's out there. I didn't hear about it till after I spent a month doing tests and since I have a big ass tub of FL paste which I know works well for RP/CP I haven't bothered to test Fireclean personally.

I do think fireclean has better heat resistance based on the few things I've seen online, not personal experience. This could be a consideration if you're a mag dumping kind of shooter.

Addendum - the infrequent times I take a brush to my bores I use DIY Ed's Red as a solvent, because I have a gallon plus of the stuff mostly.   I'm a use it up, wear it out person so until I use both of those up I'll keep using them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top