Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2007 6:43:40 AM EDT
I see that Break-Free works great as a cleaner and rust preventative, but I have doubts about it's lubricating qualities. Would some other lube be better for the AR?
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 7:19:14 AM EDT
[#1]
It's all I use.  It's all we used in the Army back in my day.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 7:32:50 AM EDT
[#2]
All we had in the Army in the early 80's was some stuff in a little green bottle. Was that the same as Break-Free?
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 5:42:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I see that Break-Free works great as a cleaner and rust preventative, but I have doubts about it's lubricating qualities. Would some other lube be better for the AR?

I concur with the other responses.  Although, I now use exactly two products on my AR...BreakFree CLP & BreakFree Foaming Bore Cleaner!
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 3:02:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Break Free CLP is the Baseline everyone compares a lube to.  Your rifle will be fine if all you run is BF CLP.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 10:48:14 AM EDT
[#5]
BF CLP works fine as a lube, cleaner, and preservative. I've noticed that it tends to dry off after a few rounds have been fired or after more than a month of storage.

I'm using LSA (older .mil standard lube) for lubricating all my weapons. It stays wet longer and makes cleaning easier than BF, in my opinion. I usually use mpro7 as a cleaner. LSA isn't as good as CLP temperature range wise, but I don't live in Alaska. BSW
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 3:32:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I've tried many different lubes & cleaners going back alot of years (try decades) and went back to Break-Free. It is all you need for an AR. Unless you are putting it in deep storage.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 5:50:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Whats the Foam stuff do?
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 2:53:31 AM EDT
[#8]
the BF foam stuff cleans the bore about 80% better than BF CLP.
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 9:35:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Whats the Foam stuff do?

Break-Free Foaming Bore Cleaner is a dedicated bore cleaner which removes copper as well as carbon and other firing residues. BF CLP alone will not remove copper.

I use solely Break-Free products on my weapons.

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top