Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2004 11:22:19 AM EDT
I know this might seem like a stupid question, but here goes.  I am buying my first AR on Tuesday from  a friend.  I know it is a colt, and I believe it is a CAR.  My question:  Can I safely shoot 5.56 mm ammo, like the XM193 and XM855.  hinking.gif I thought that .223 and 5.56 mm were they same until I saw this:  

Fulton Armory

Assuming that I can shoot 5.56mm,  any opinions on weather the XM193 or XM855 is the more effective anti-personel round.  I realize that the lethality of the 5.56 bullet is due to fragmentation only above 2500 fps (i think) and that the XM855 is slower because of increased mass.  However, how much consideration should be given to intentionl penitration of barriers, (bad guy behind a wall or wearing body aromor) which favoirs a steel tipped round.  

Reguarding accuracy, how realistic is it to switch between the 2 rounds without losing accuracy nor resighting in the gun.  ?

I will be using a shot barrel I believe it is 16 inches.  I don't really care about the difference in price.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:23:34 AM EDT
[#1]
All Colt CARs are chambered in 5.56 (you go by what is marked on the barrel not the receiver).
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:39:57 AM EDT
[#2]

Is 5.56 ammo in a Colt CAR dangerous?  

In the hands of the right person, it's DEADLY

+1 with what Forest said.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:51:59 AM EDT
[#3]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is 5.56 ammo in a Colt CAR dangerous?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I only shoot .22 LR and .38 through mine
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:00:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes it is! But dont stand on that end of the weapon and you will be safe.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:33:15 PM EDT
[#5]
+1
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:38:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Never point gun at anything you don't want to injure, kill or cause great bodily harm
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:43:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top