Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/1/2006 1:14:16 PM EDT
Is the 20" Government Profile barrel worth the loss in accuracy for the weight loss and balance?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:17:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:19:13 PM EDT
[#2]

There's an accuracy loss?  (tag for more info)

As Aimless said, for most people - with iron sights (and probably even with optics for many), any loss in accuracy is probably not going to be too significant.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:19:15 PM EDT
[#3]
+1 to what Aimless stated.

I always felt confident with my M16A2.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:19:47 PM EDT
[#4]
what loss of accuracy?  Are you talking about a barrel that heats up faster opening up groups?  a 20" hbar is unbearable in my opinion...  get the govy...
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:20:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
what loss of accuracy?  Are you talking about a barrel that heats up faster opening up groups?  a 20" hbar is unbearable in my opinion...  get the govy...

yes
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:28:02 PM EDT
[#6]
If its not a strictly bench gun definitely get Gov't profile barrel.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:44:48 PM EDT
[#7]
i would go govt.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:56:16 PM EDT
[#8]
My concern has not been the quality of the barrel, but rather the skinnier Gov't profile barrel getting it's zero shifted when using a sling as support when shooting offhand, or using sandbags, maybe pushing POI up when shooting from the bench?

FWIW, I do have a gov't profile 20", and it's the most accurate gun I own, but it makes me wonder...
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:57:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Is the 20" Government Profile barrel worth the loss in accuracy for the weight loss and balance?

What's your intended purpose for the rifle?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:46:40 PM EDT
[#10]
if you want to prevent a shift in the position of impact with a sling or rest, you need a free floating handguard.  (for any rifle)
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:56:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes

If you're shooting *that* fast you probably have other things in mind besides tiny groups.

Government profile all the way. Never noticed any accuracy loss from my SP1 even when smoking hot.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:57:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
My concern has not been the quality of the barrel, but rather the skinnier Gov't profile barrel getting it's zero shifted when using a sling as support when shooting offhand, or using sandbags, maybe pushing POI up when shooting from the bench?

FWIW, I do have a gov't profile 20", and it's the most accurate gun I own, but it makes me wonder...

Well now you are talking about target shooting.  Which means the government profile for you doesnt do anything.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:58:37 PM EDT
[#13]
My free floated Bushy 1x9 Gov't  barrel has shot groups of under 2 inches... at 300 yards!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:01:44 PM EDT
[#14]
What accuracy loss?  Unless you are using it for high-end, high-competitive highpower you will not notice a difference.  

If ya want it, get it and don't look back.

Take it from a guy who burned out on all of these obsessive little questions years ago.  It's only been in the last year that I got back into rifles after diving into the accuracy difference of this powder vs. that powder and this bbl length vs. that bbl length and what does the ballistics program say vs. what I am getting and on and on. . .

In the end I could really tell no difference in any of it.  I was an average shooter and it tooks thousands of dollars of bullets/powder/cases/guns and time for me to scientifically prove it.  

The answer to 99% of all of these obsessive little questions is 1) Yes, there is a difference and 2) No, you will not see it unless you are really, really good.  (In my best Clint Eastwood sneer:  So how good are ya, Punk?)  

Stop thinking, buy ammo and SHOOT!  Oh yeah, and have a good time while you are doing it!

Off my

Jeez, got a little high winded there. . . .
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:49:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
if you want to prevent a shift in the position of impact with a sling or rest, you need a free floating handguard.  (for any rifle)

+1
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:07:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

It's good enough for government work.  What's your intended purpose?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:09:31 PM EDT
[#17]
get the govt profile

if you want tops for accuracy, get a good varmit bbl and FF it
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:12:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I'd go 20" for the longer sight radius mostly . Of course that 20" would be an A 1 skinny barrel

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:17:37 PM EDT
[#19]
I wish I could answer that question; but in 18 years of shooting ARs I have never been able to shoot well enough to appreciate the accuracy difference between an HBAR and a Gov't profile. If you can appreciate that difference then more power to ya...
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:28:44 PM EDT
[#20]

If you have to carry it for anything serious,   yes, yes yes yes and yes. . . . . . .  ..  . . . . . .
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:47:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Get the gubment profile barrel unless you are only going to shoot it off a bench.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:49:23 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Get the gubment profile barrel unless you are only going to shoot it off a bench.

I agree
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:06:14 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

+1 and if you want to retain the "look", use the FF tube that High Power shooters use.  Two of the best places to get them:
White Oak Precision Scroll to the bottom of the page.    - or -
Compass Lake Engineering Good learning on this page too.

This is the only way to go, if you "sling up" using a 20" Service Rifle.

ETA: You don't use a sling in competition when shooting offhand
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:48:53 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree

Sound advice
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:13:51 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
What accuracy loss?  Unless you are using it for high-end, high-competitive highpower you will not notice a difference.  

If ya want it, get it and don't look back.

Take it from a guy who burned out on all of these obsessive little questions years ago.  It's only been in the last year that I got back into rifles after diving into the accuracy difference of this powder vs. that powder and this bbl length vs. that bbl length and what does the ballistics program say vs. what I am getting and on and on. . .

In the end I could really tell no difference in any of it.  I was an average shooter and it tooks thousands of dollars of bullets/powder/cases/guns and time for me to scientifically prove it.  he

Stop thinking, buy ammo and SHOOT!  Oh yeah, and have a good time while you are doing it!

Off my high

+1.  Hit the nail on the head, which is why you see the poll read as it does.  For most people, all those little things like barrel thickness, length, etc. etc. don't matter much.  It's only when you get into super duper accuracy at super duper ranges that this stuff starts to take real effect.  Since few shooters here do that stuff, few shooters will say that the heavier barrel is preferable to the govt profile.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:14:27 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I wish I could answer that question; but in 18 years of shooting ARs I have never been able to shoot well enough to appreciate the accuracy difference between an HBAR and a Gov't profile. If you can appreciate that difference then more power to ya...

What he said.    

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:22:43 AM EDT
[#27]
There's no difference in accuracy, the HBAR is just cheaper to manufacture (less lathe time).  Now if you're talking a Kreiger vs. a Gov't profile USGI barrel then yes there is a difference.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:30:57 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I'd go 20" for the longer sight radius mostly . Of course that 20" would be an A 1 skinny barrel

+1
About 13 or + years ago I got a Colt 1x7" twist A1 Gubment profile barrel.   I think that I got it from J&T.  Still have the thing on the shelf.  Brand new, mint.  Dog-gone-it, I wish I had bought several of the things!!  Looking forward to the newer 75-77 grain ammo coming out.  I love the A1 profile.  With all of the rail systems, various accoutrements going on to rifles these days, you've got to lighten them up however you can [and still try to keep all of the goodies ].  I too, used to have a Colt HBAR rifle.  Got tired of carrying it.  BUT, IT WOULD PRINT ALMOST 1 moa W/ IRONS using surplus ammo.  266
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top