Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/28/2004 2:03:09 PM EST
I am going to use an A4 upper with front iron sights but would like to use telescopic sights (8-32x44 scope) and either have backup iron sights or a detachable carry handle... but my priority is something that is affordable (I've seen those $100+ national match removable sights) and offers decent accuracy (not looking for sub-MOA iron sights here, just something I can practice with to get familiar before I use an M16A2 on the field again)

I saw some detachable carry handles for $40-$50, are those good?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:34:27 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/28/2004 2:36:17 PM EST by NewbHunter]
Have you thought about using flip front and rear sights so that you can keep the irons and the scope on at the same time?

What's "affordable" to you?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:42:52 PM EST
"Affordable" is about $100 total but I'd prefer under $60.

Right now I have the option of going to a standard iron sight up front, or an add'l $35 for a gas block sight base (plus $100 for a flip up or removable front sight) and I will be using an A4 upper receiver so I have the option of:
flip-up rear sight, detachable handle, removable rear sight

I like the idea of flip up sights and have thought about it, but i hear I can get away with using the fixed front sight along with a scope (it'd be out of focus especially at 8x)... that leaves a detachable handle (if I want to remove the scope) or a flip-up rear sight (saves some cost on the front sight)

What would you recommend?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:53:27 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/28/2004 2:56:38 PM EST by NewbHunter]
Well if you're set on going with the fixed FSB for now to save on cost one option would be to go with the La Rue BUIS. I believe that the going price is around $89. It's an extremely durable and well built sight and it also has a quick detach lever on it. I wouldn't think this would be the optimal solution for a scoped upper though, but it fits your price range.

If you go with a flip rear then I hear that the Troy is very nice, but I believe that they are around $120, so a little out of your range. One note about those is that currently they only have the one aperature. However, C4igrant from www.gandrtactical.com said that a dual aperature version should be out any time now. Not sure if that will change the price though.

ETA - maybe your best option for now would be to go with the carry handle until you can afford flip sights, since for a scoped upper you really want to have flip sights.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:06:53 PM EST
are there any quality issues with the "cheap" $40-$50 detachable handles?

I may just go with that to get an "authentic" iron sight setup.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:00:26 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/28/2004 8:01:14 PM EST by El_Roto]
Why not get a detachable scope base plus a detachable carry handle (which are fine)? Check with Wes at www.mstn.biz about the Larue one-piece scope base; you could swap your scope and your carry handle lickety split.

I do the same with my Leupold (in an Armalite one-piece mount) and my carry handle and I don't suffer any noticeable loss of zero. It's a very cost effective solution compared to the various BUIS systems, IMO.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:46:39 AM EST

Originally Posted By El_Roto:
Why not get a detachable scope base plus a detachable carry handle (which are fine)? Check with Wes at www.mstn.biz about the Larue one-piece scope base; you could swap your scope and your carry handle lickety split.

I do the same with my Leupold (in an Armalite one-piece mount) and my carry handle and I don't suffer any noticeable loss of zero. It's a very cost effective solution compared to the various BUIS systems, IMO.

That would work, except he said he's on a budget and the La Rue scope mount costs $190.

You could always start out without a scoped AR and just use the detachable carry handle and then save for the La Rue mount to add later. I still think for a scoped AR that a La Rue mount and flip irons is the best way to go though.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:04:09 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:22:18 AM EST

Originally Posted By BookHound:
With a magnified scope of 3x or greater, you won't see the FSB anyway. Don't bother swapping it for a flip-up.

Get a Troy or ARMS 40 (or 40L for a lower profile) flip-up rear BUIS. I also strongly suggest a QD scope mount, like the new LaRue or ARMS 22s.

I generally avoid the cheap or no-name parts like you find at a lot of the gun shows. If I wanted a carry handle, I'd buy a name brand one from a reputable dealer on this site. I don’t understand why people use carry handles as a back-up sight. Why wouldn’t you want the back-up already on the gun?

But, it’s just my opinion. If you already had the handle, I’d say use it. If you have nothing yet, I’d put the money into a flip-up. Don’t worry about cost; just figure out what you really want/need. Then either save for it or sell something to get the needed money. Settling for something cheap or less than perfect sucks.

Good point, that reminds me of some words of wisdom that I've heard before. It goes something like this:

If you want something, don't cheap out because you'll only be disappointed and end up getting the thing you really wanted in the first place anyway. Now you've not only spent money on the more expensive item that you really wanted to begin with, but you've also bought some other cheap item too. If you buy the quality item the first time, in the long run you'll save yourself some money and you'll be happier with the results.

My personal oppinion would be to get the Troy flip BUIS.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:11:13 PM EST

Originally Posted By NewbHunter:

Originally Posted By El_Roto:

That would work, except he said he's on a budget and the La Rue scope mount costs $190.

So go for an Armalite one-piece instead. Much cheaper than a Larue and flip-ups!
Top Top