Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/2/2005 5:49:23 PM EDT
Is using night vision the only to visually see an ir laser.  Are there any other ways to see an Ir laser beam.

thanks,
Doug
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#1]
There are substance that reacts to the presense of the IR beam.

They use them in labs.  Most I have seen are a small card that has said reactive substance applied to it.  If you wanna know if your laser is on, you hold it in front of the beam and look for an indication.  I forget what they call them.

If you are trying to forego the purchase of night vision to utilise an IR laser, it's not gonna happen.

~Doug
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:01:45 PM EDT
[#2]
no thats not it. i have a wilcox laser module and i want to know if it has ir capabilities. It has a dial switch and it is marked 12 o'clock pos is OFF, about 7 o' clock is lASER FL, and 6 o'clock is LASER. It 2 other positions at 11 and 10 oclock but they arent marked. when you trun to the 11 oclock position it  shows that  its drawwing juice from the battery on the led readout. I think my laser might have ir and i dont even know it b/c i dont have night vision.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:28:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Some video cameras can see IR.  Almost all black and white video cameras can, and some color cameras can.

Get the TV remote, and point it at your video camera.  If you can see it, you can use it to tell if you have an IR laser.

~Doug
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:51:34 PM EDT
[#4]
You can buy small handheld monoculars (Gen 1) for about $135.

But, I know you really want a set of Gen 3's.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:55:35 PM EDT
[#5]
i really want to see if it does have ir cuz if it does ill keep it or change the price im selling it for. If it doesnt ill sell it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:01:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Take your laser into a sporting goods store where they stock cheap Gen I units. Try it out there.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:25:02 AM EDT
[#7]
well how can you tell the difference through NVG's.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:55:33 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
well how can you tell the difference through NVG's.

If both the NVGs and the IR laser is working properly, you will see a bright "dot" (depending on the power of the laser).
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:44:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Just be careful with that laser until you know if it produces IR or not. Dont point it at your eye  
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top