Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 11/19/2012 9:26:18 PM EST
Hello everyone, my name is Greg. I live near Seattle, wa. I am not new to firearms, but fairly new to the AR platform. Aside from other rifles and pistols, I have a S&W M&P 15/22 that I absolutely love, and shoot almost daily. I probably run 5000+ rounds through it a week. I bought the rifle with the intentions to get familiar with the platform and figure out what options work best for me before I purchase a 5.56. Since I'm very happy and familiar with the 15/22, it only makes sense to set up a 5.56 the same way. With that being said, I want a 5.56 with a quad rail and flip up BUIS. I don't want a front post. I like the colt 6920 moe, but I must have a quad rail. I'm really leaning towards the S&W M&P 15T, because it seems like it will be very similar to my "training rifle", and I've always had good luck with S&W products and service. I don't want to break the bank on a new rifle, and at $900ish, the M&P 15T will leave enough money for me to buy a quality optic. Is there any reason I should not consider this rifle? I have read very positive reports on this rifle which leads me to believe it is on par with the colt. Is there another rifle I should be considering? It just seems that it will fit the bill perfectly for what I'm asking, and won't break the bank. Any input, or suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
Greg

P.S. my reasoning behind the quad rail is not to strap a bunch of crap on it, I am just comfortable and familiar with a quad rail and afg-2 grip.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:35:22 PM EST
Originally Posted By Yzf128r:
Hello everyone, my name is Greg. I live near Seattle, wa. I am not new to firearms, but fairly new to the AR platform. Aside from other rifles and pistols, I have a S&W M&P 15/22 that I absolutely love, and shoot almost daily. I probably run 5000+ rounds through it a week. I bought the rifle with the intentions to get familiar with the platform and figure out what options work best for me before I purchase a 5.56. Since I'm very happy and familiar with the 15/22, it only makes sense to set up a 5.56 the same way. With that being said, I want a 5.56 with a quad rail and flip up BUIS. I don't want a front post. I like the colt 6920 moe, but I must have a quad rail. I'm really leaning towards the S&W M&P 15T, because it seems like it will be very similar to my "training rifle", and I've always had good luck with S&W products and service. I don't want to break the bank on a new rifle, and at $900ish, the M&P 15T will leave enough money for me to buy a quality optic. Is there any reason I should not consider this rifle? I have read very positive reports on this rifle which leads me to believe it is on par with the colt. Is there another rifle I should be considering? It just seems that it will fit the bill perfectly for what I'm asking, and won't break the bank. Any input, or suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
Greg

P.S. my reasoning behind the quad rail is not to strap a bunch of crap on it, I am just comfortable and familiar with a quad rail and afg-2 grip.

5000+ rounds per week?? Do you not work?

Damn.

Good luck with your decision, sounds like you are narrowing it down...
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:43:06 PM EST
Lol. I do work 40+ hours a week at a highly stressful job, which is the reason for all the shooting. But my local range is open til 9pm 7 days a week, and allow most rifles and shotguns, so when I get a 5.56 it will see its fair share of trigger time.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:20:23 PM EST
Get a Colt LE6920 TALO edition. Very similar to the M&P15T, but its a Colt

Another option is to get a base rifle, like any M4 pattern, and upgrade it with the parts you want. I've gone this route twice, and if you're mechanically inclined, it's not hard.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:31:44 PM EST
Originally Posted By Will816:
Get a Colt LE6920 TALO edition. Very similar to the M&P15T, but its a Colt

Another option is to get a base rifle, like any M4 pattern, and upgrade it with the parts you want. I've gone this route twice, and if you're mechanically inclined, it's not hard.

There are other brands cheaper than a colt with same level of quality which would leave room for a nice optic.

Plenty of threads discussing this very thing in this forum.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:37:16 PM EST
Is there any reason I shouldn't go with th S&W other than its not a colt?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:43:07 PM EST
Originally Posted By Yzf128r:
Is there any reason I shouldn't go with th S&W other than its not a colt?

I can't think of any because I don't know anything about them personally. I know of people that own them and have not heard any complaints.

Get what you like.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:50:07 PM EST
Welcome to the nut roll.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:09:55 AM EST
I can't think of any reason not to get the S&W. You've done the research so you've seen that there are very few that have problems with them. Their customer service is good and they make more in house than most. I've lost count of rounds in my M&P and my M&P 15-22. Both still function flawlessly. Go get the M&P. Great gun for the range and you'll be happy you did.
Top Top