Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/7/2002 7:44:52 PM EDT
Okay, I'm sorry, no pics.

I was browsing at some special issue of Popular Science, an issue about weopons (ships, planes, tanks, small arms).  Any ways, I got to the personal weopons, and saw a funny set up for a m16.  It was a flat top, free float barrel.....scoped.  It was mounted on some kind of tri pod, self contained tripod!  Had some electric motor near the trigger and a camera mounted behind the scope.  The caption was talking about some remote operation or automatic.  Funny thing was, it only had the standard 30 round mag.  I would think it would have a 120 round for remote operation.  Or better yet, use the new belt fed on one of those....
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 9:14:33 AM EDT
[#1]
So, does anyone know what I'm talking about?  Any one look at that Special edition of Popular Science.... it's a thick issue.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 9:49:01 AM EDT
[#2]
nope.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 11:50:26 AM EDT
[#3]
It's not an M16...that's one reason it looks odd.

It's a SR-25.

Dunno about the contraption, tho.  I'm guessing it's made to hold the rifle steady, while keeping the shooter's head out of the line of fire.  Shooter probably uses a portable display to see thru the sights.

Here's the pic:

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=1157[/img]
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 11:54:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Well.....thats the closest I've seen to a crew served rifle..........
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 12:13:15 PM EDT
[#5]
[url]http://www.isayeret.com/gear/trap/trap.htm[/url]
..A long article on this system including pics taken at its deplyment in Bethlehem earlier this year..
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 12:25:10 PM EDT
[#6]

is it remotely aimed and fired?

thats f*cking interesting man, thats f*cking interesting

i need one of those mounted on my honda

-Spaceman

Link Posted: 12/8/2002 12:36:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like the ultimate bench rifle!
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 2:40:09 PM EDT
[#8]
That's IT!!!!!!

Saw that and said...yikes.  Love to have that for perimeter defence.

Edit-
Like the 50BMG one....
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 2:57:18 PM EDT
[#9]
You just have to love a rifle that allows you to sit in the house, sipping your coffee at the computer and playing games, and doing your deer hunting all at the same time. One small pop up window on the computer is all that would be needed.

Link Posted: 12/8/2002 7:15:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Along these lines does anyone know if it is legal to make a firing remoted controled car?

Like mounting a 10/22 reciever (that has not been made into a rifle) onto a remote controlled car and make it so that it can fire?
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 8:18:15 PM EDT
[#11]
that looks like the next generation "red-light camera". all "they" have to do is claim it will help fight terrorism and theyll be on every corner....hey maybe if we put microchips in newborns no kids will get kidnapped

oh wait, this isnat a soapbox thread.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 8:51:02 PM EDT
[#12]
It's a remote sniping system originally designed for LE so snipers didn't have to put themselves in to danger.

One of my cousins worked on a similar project about 2-3 years ago(LAPD/LASO and other CA agencies funded the project). ATF has ruled the system is technically a machine gun as it is mechanically fired for each shot and can attain rates similar to Full auto.

Just one of many cool ideas out there.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 9:06:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well.....thats the closest I've seen to a crew[blue](less)[/blue] served rifle..........
View Quote

So much for counter sniper teams - Its back to RPG's.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top