Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/27/2005 7:47:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/28/2005 5:36:05 PM EDT by ColtRifle]
I have a Colt AR with a CMMG 1/7 chrome lined barrel. I have shot a case of Wolf laquer and about half a case of Wolf polymer along with numerous rounds of various brass cased loads. I shot most of it through the old Colt 1/9 twist non-chrome lined barrel. The Colt barrel fired the laquer stuff perfectly.

I have had two malfunctions with the new polymer stuff. Both were with the CMMG barrel. The first one the round fired but didn't eject and the last one fed into the chamber but not far enough to chamber. Both rounds had nothing wrong with the coating and it obviously didn't "weld" itself to the chamber. I got the round out and looked at it. I measured the round and compared it to another Wolf round. I noticed that the neck on the round that stuck in the chamber was wider than a normal round.

I wonder how many other Wolf failures were not actually the coating but an out of spec case. I emailed Wolf about it to see what they say. The particular lot is P266-05.

The round on the left is a normal round and the one on the right is the out of spec round. It is shiny around the neck because I tried to chamber it a second time. Didn't work that time either!

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:26:19 PM EDT
got a micrometer?

measurement numbers would be interesting.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:35:43 PM EDT
I have a micrometer but it is a very old style and doesn't have a measuring scale. I can tell you that the oversized case was noticably larger. If I can get to a friend's house and borrow his calipers then I'll post the numbers.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:41:23 PM EDT
heck I'd be more interested in seeing the micrometer that doesn't have a measuring scale.....
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:45:17 AM EDT
Looks like the neck is not crimped/sized like it should be, which could cause the ctg from chambering.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:00:16 PM EDT
it looks like the case mouth is belled but not crimped witch would cause you to have a problem feeding the round as it would be to big to fit into the chamber
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:58:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Blammer:
heck I'd be more interested in seeing the micrometer that doesn't have a measuring scale.....

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:37:26 PM EDT
Crimp it lightly and shoot it.

Did you drop it into a case gauge?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:51:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SBR7_11:

Why take the chance? Wolf's cheap. Toss that round or save it for conversational reasons. I wouldn;t let it anywhere near my rifle.

I guess you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:11:56 AM EDT
Yeah, like that XM193PD that's twice as expensive and ugly as hell and questionably reliable.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:16:17 AM EDT
does the wolf, or any other steel case ammunition, take a bite out of the brass deflector or any of the other aluminum parts on an AR? I have been shooting wolf in SKS's and AK's for a while, but am reluctant to try it in my AR as plinking/practice ammo.

I just went through a case of 7.62x39, I didn't notice any obvious out of spec rounds, but also the soviet guns are built to looser tolerances.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:17:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/1/2005 8:18:37 AM EDT by rch]

Originally Posted By SBR7_11:

Trying to risk damaging an expensive rifle with a round of cheap ammo? Hmmmm... The best way to treat that kind of ammo is pull the bullet out and throw it in the garbage. Not worth pushing your luck on an off spec/damaged bullet
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:16:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jmindler:
does the wolf, or any other steel case ammunition, take a bite out of the brass deflector or any of the other aluminum parts on an AR? I have been shooting wolf in SKS's and AK's for a while, but am reluctant to try it in my AR as plinking/practice ammo.

I just went through a case of 7.62x39, I didn't notice any obvious out of spec rounds, but also the soviet guns are built to looser tolerances.

I haven't had any experiences with Wolf doing that to anything on my M4. I know people who haven't used this stuff have sometimes in the past expressed concern, but I think the overwhelming response has been that there haven't been any problems with it damaging the brass deflector.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:18:28 PM EDT
I've had a goofy neck WOlf 223 round before, looked like it chambered, but firing pin wouldn't hit the primer. Pulled the round, insertered another round, bang, reinserted goofy round, no bang. Well, 1 bad round out of the last 25K ain't too bad.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:37:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By absit:
Yeah, like that XM193PD that's twice as expensive and ugly as hell and questionably reliable.

What does your post have to do about anything thats been posted in this thread?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:05:48 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:07:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By colt100:

Originally Posted By absit:

What does your post have to do about anything thats been posted in this thread?

I think his point is that all manufacturers can turn out a turd or two regardless of price.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:03:16 PM EDT
Those rounds are not even lined up, the round on the right is forward of the one on the left. I want micrometer results.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:25:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/3/2005 5:27:04 AM EDT by ColtRifle]
I am not bad mouthing Wolf I am just saying that I got a bad round in this lot. Maybe two bad rounds because this happened twice. I'm also wondering if some of the sticking rounds might be from out of spec case necks rather than the laquer or polymer melting and seizing the case in the chamber.

The micrometer that I am refering to well.......I guess by definition it is not technically a micrometer. It is a measuring device that simply measures outside diameter but doesn't have a measuring scale. So TECHNICALLY it's not a "micrometer"!! Leave me alone!!

Seriously, the two rounds are identical in length. The bullet wasn't pushed in at all. It entered the chamber and then stuck. It only took a second to get it out. The neck is clearly out of spec. I emailed Wolf and they responded by telling me that I could send them my address and they would pick up the ammo and replace it. That's good customer service. I was impressed.

Next time you are shooting Wolf ammo and you have a jam, look at the neck. I suspect that there is nothing wrong with either coating. I bet you will find that you have an out of spec case.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:28:19 AM EDT
I will try to get a friend's micrometer. If I can I'll post the results.
Top Top