AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2005 6:02:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:17:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Very interesting indeed.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:17:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks pretty nice and its made by Ergo so it must be well made (at least from the other products they make). Kind of pricey though.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:21:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the way it looks. Does anyone have good or bad things to say about it? Other than the price it looks good to me. Maybe somewhere will sell for less.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:33:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Ergo Husky Vertical ForeGrip

Husky?

Are you saying I'm FAT?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:34:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Pricy, and I wonder how well that QD lever would last under hardship...
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:44:06 PM EDT
[#6]

The Ergo Husky Vertical ForeGrip™ uses Falcon's beefy steel Express Mount to attach to Mil-Std-1913 "Picatinny" rail forends. Quickly attached or detached by a lever without removing any rail panels. The Express Mount's cam-lock is solid and features adjustable tightness for a custom fit even on out-of-spec rails. Overmolded with a very slightly resilient polymer, the Husky Grip is hand-filling, comfortable and durable. Its round cross-section allows easy rotation in the support hand. A screw-in cap, opened by a coin slot, keeps contents in the grip's water resistant hollow body. The storage cavity is large enough for two 123A lithium batteries or an AR-15/M16 spare bolt.

*The same wrench used to adjust LaRue mounts can be used to adjust the tension of the Express Mount.

Sounds like someone has been looking at LaRue mounts.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:44:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Pricy, and I wonder how well that QD lever would last under hardship...

+1

At that price, I'd be pretty near buying a CQD VG instead, although the QD feature does have it's disticnt benefits.  I'd really like to see one of these in person.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:50:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Aren't these the ones that Grant introduced a few weeks back?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:51:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+1 Interesting nonetheless....
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:01:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

yep..same ones.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:10:18 PM EDT
[#11]
i checked and yes, it seems these are for fat guys only...
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:18:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yep..same ones.

Hmmm... I missed that.

I'll look for the thread, or maybe someone will post a link.

ETA:  Found it... www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=25&t=312440
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:53:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I like the QD feature but the grip is kinda nondescript.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:00:53 PM EDT
[#14]
C4iGrant, i.e. G&R Tactical sells them.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:04:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Bump for the day crew.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:06:48 AM EDT
[#16]
$69.95????  uummmmm... no.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:33:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:34:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:06:11 AM EDT
[#19]
It looks like the only positive features you get are a solid, quick release lever and storage in the grip.  Well, why not STANDARDIZE your front and rear grips with the MIAD grip?  Here's what you end up with up-front:

The grip on the right is the MIAD.  The ARMS forward grip mount and new MIAD "Stand-Alone" front-strap allow you to customize the grip and store more of a variety of stuff inside including a spare bolt/firing pin.  You can also store a wider variety of stuff such as 3 spare rounds, AA batteries, 123 batteries, AAA batteries, etc.  Check out this thread:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=124&t=143789
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:26:44 AM EDT
[#20]
I know a lot of people like the MIAD but I had a chance to see one at the gun show and, to me, it just felt like a cheap piece of plastic in my hand.  Once I came across this thread of review of the SPOT MKII optic (acog copy) where this guy was tossing his AR around allover the place to 'torture' test the optic, look what happened to the MIAD:

I don't see a benefit in 'standardizing' the front and rear grips of a rifle, as it only serves an asthetic purpose.  I use the VG primarily for support, and as a pivot point, not as a primary grip.  I like for the gun to be able to turn/pivot slightly whenever I need to make an adjustment.  With the grips standardized, there's really only one proper way to hold it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:42:27 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Ergo Husky Vertical ForeGrip

Husky?

Are you saying I'm FAT?

well...if the VFG fits..
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:45:20 AM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:06:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

So, the Aluminum buttstock is as strong as the MIAD?!  Cool, I'm sold!  Your 'torture' test doesn't mean anything unless you also compare how well an A2 grip would hold up.  I can destroy titanium bar stock too if I abused it enough.  That doesn't mean it's weak.

Note to self:  Do NOT let niceguymr borrow any of my guns.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:39:56 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
So, the Aluminum cheap aftermarket buttstock is as strong as the MIAD?!

Fixed it for you.

Your 'torture' test doesn't mean anything unless you also compare how well an A2 grip would hold up.

Well if you're not going to test your gear..  I know an instructor that says if your not confident enough in your gear to toss it  and have it survive - then you need to look at new gear.

After saying that he tossed his Aimpoint equiped M4 down the range in a similar fashion - he still hasn't broken the A2 grip yet.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:39:57 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i14.photobucket.com/albums/a346/niceguymr/miadbroken.jpg

So, the Aluminum buttstock is as strong as the MIAD?!  Cool, I'm sold!  Your 'torture' test doesn't mean anything unless you also compare how well an A2 grip would hold up.  I can destroy titanium bar stock too if I abused it enough.  That doesn't mean it's weak.
Note to self:  Do NOT let niceguymr borrow any of my guns.

LOL... Don't get all defensive... It's just a freaking grip.

I apologize to the original poster for this thread going off topic.  This is ARFCOM though, what do you expect?!?!  Still, I think it's necessary for me to clarify for Mr. BadgerArms.

If you read my post clearly, you will see that I was referring to someone else's TORTURE TEST, not my own.  Furthermore, they weren't torture testing the grip, they were torture testing an optic mounted to an AR by tossing it in the air and letting it drop to the ground.  Whether or not you agree with the methods and design of the so called 'torture test', it's hard not to agree that they were definitely putting that AR through some serious abuse, probably moreso than 99.9% of AR owners will ever do.

First off, although I somewhat agree with FOREST'S statement above (about having enough confidence in your gear to be willing to abuse it), personally, I wouldn't do that to my AR just the same way I wouldn't crash my car just to see if the airbags work, but the idea is right about having confidence in your gear.

As far as grips go, I'd be willing to place a very hefty bet in favor of a factory Colt A2 grip in a torture test against the MIAD (mounted on somebody else's AR15 of course ).  I'll even go a step further and make the same bet with my $16 Hogue AR grip against the MIAD.  

I've handled the MIAD and I'll agree that it's a 'cool' grip.  I like the versatile storage it offers and how it can acommodate a variety of diffent size/shape hands.  Fact is though I'm the only one shooting my AR and I don't need it to acommodate anyone elses grip but mine, therefore all those little extra pieces that assemble to complete the grip are only things that could possibly break, fall off, or get in the way of me properly gripping my rifle.  Plus, I don't particularly like the grip texture of the MIAD.  I feel a much more confident and secure grip with my Hogue than with the MIAD.  That may be only me though.  I'm a big fan of hogue and I have hogue grips on almost all my guns.

Lastly, if you look closely at the picture above, you'll see that it's the buffer tube that broke, and not the stock itself.  My eye is not trained as well as others, but one might argue that the buffer tube may in fact be a 'cheap' aftermarket part as indicated above.  Regardless, I'd rather have my entire stock fall off than the main grip for my AR.  Think about it.  I think if you had to choose with giving up either the stock or the grip, you'd realize that you can still shoot pretty well with no stock (hence, AR pistols).

ETA:

Back to the topic at hand...  I don't know if anyone has already answered this but what is the grip (subject of this thread) made of underneath the overmolded "resilient polymer"?  Is it (not the QD mount, but the actual grip) alluminum or is it just made of the polymer.

That's another thing that I like about my overpriced KAC VG.  It's simple, but it's built tough and I'm not worried about it snapping off.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:57:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top