Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 7/20/2008 1:00:46 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/20/2008 1:55:25 PM EST by jrosto]
I found the following cartridges out at the range this morning:

The empty 5.56 case is for reference.

As you can see, the base of the cartridge slides in and out.  There is a .22 case where a primer should be and the mouth of the case is blocked off.  

They appear to be some expensive blank fire way to run an AR, like something a movie studio would do?

Anybody know what these are?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:12:32 PM EST
It looks like one of those cartridge conversion units I used to see in Shotgun News. Or maybe home-made.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:36:19 PM EST
heh, I just came here to post about this. You should have a more descriptive title, though.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:56:07 PM EST
Fixed the title
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:06:57 PM EST
looks to me like .22 ammo cased into .223 shells to fire into an AR without changing uppers or mags.  of course the dent looks like it was fired  rimfire, so maybe it was different .22 conversion upper/standard mags.  strange stuff.  At any rate odd to see someone would just leave it at the range!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:32:27 PM EST
Looks like a UTM case to me.  Its been a while since I've seen any, though.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:46:58 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/20/2008 5:51:11 PM EST by ElyasWolff]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:59:29 PM EST

Originally Posted By ElyasWolff:
Sounds cool.
here is what came up from google


UTM Ammo
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:18:54 AM EST
Mystery solved.

Thanks guys!
Top Top