BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/8/2005 1:29:52 AM EDT

Petty Officer 1st Class Bert Bath, a corpsman with Iraqi Interdiction Force Platoon, Echo Company, 3rd Reconnaissance Battalion, 2nd Marine Division, scans the area while on a patrol during an operation in Al Anbar province. With more than 18 years in the Navy, Bath has spent 14 of them attached to a reconnaissance unit. Photo by: Lance Cpl. Evan M. Eagan

BIG hi-res

HK magazine and what looks like an home made tac latch.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:51:12 AM EDT
[#1]
TIG?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:43:22 AM EDT
[#2]
wonder what he is using for a sling?

maybe a single-point (for lefties)?  but it looks attached forward the receiver

and what can you make out about his back-up magazine? Don't believe it is the HK - may not be a mag I am seeing at all - not sure.

curious that a recon Marine uses a CQB optic. He must also take care of the business he reconnoiters!

great photo.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:14:09 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

and what can you make out about his back-up magazine? Don't believe it is the HK - may not be a mag I am seeing at all - not sure.

curious that a recon Marine uses a CQB optic. He must also take care of the business he reconnoiters!

great photo.

They can use red-dot CQB optics out to 800 yd. That's hardcore!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:25:45 AM EDT
[#4]
guy's a navy fmf corpsman, not a marine. hey, credit where credit's due; he'd be the first one to correct ya!

kinda looks like a 20rd mag in the pouch...

man, someone needs to send that squid a toothbrush!!! hahahahaha
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:03:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice pic.  Navy corpsman are a different breed and serve in all branches, if I'm not mistaken.

That rifle is so anti-ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:03:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks like that EOTech has seen some shit!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:19:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Nice pic.  Navy corpsman are a different breed and serve in all branches, if I'm not mistaken.

Navy corpsman do not serve in the Army.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:23:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Notice the HK mag. (at least I think it is with those markings)
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:28:13 AM EDT
[#9]
While I served in the army there were several occasions where Navy Corpmen served with out unit. Usally to provide extra support, for special "events"

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:11:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:14:21 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Navy corpsman do not serve in the Army.

He is with the Marines.  Marines do not have medics, they are all Navy corpsman.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:25:36 AM EDT
[#12]
For the love of all things holy someone send that man an Alumablack pen from brownells......

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:30:31 AM EDT
[#13]
So that's where my NFA M4 went. After the tragic boating accident, I wondered what may have happened to it. I guess this Corpsman was scuba diving below my boat when it landed on his air tank.

The serial numbers match perfectly. Then he takes my M4 to the sandbox. I always wanted some real world testing.

HS1
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:35:50 AM EDT
[#14]
That Colt has seen some hard use

Thanks for the pic Lumpy!!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:57:56 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
He is with the Marines.  Marines do not have medics, they are all Navy corpsman.

you are right, sir

corpsman- corps·man [ káwrmən, káwrzmən ]

def.- soldier able to give first aid: in the U.S. armed forces, an enlisted person with training in giving first aid and basic medical treatment
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:59:03 AM EDT
[#16]

definetly.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:00:38 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Thanks for the pic Lumpy!!

It's a Marine rifle, so you know it's going to be beat to hell.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:14:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Lumpy always has the best firearms pictures.

I also take pleasure in noting he has an EOTech 552....
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:52:28 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
So that's where my NFA M4 went. After the tragic boating accident, I wondered what may have happened to it. I guess this Corpsman was scuba diving below my boat when it landed on his air tank.

The serial numbers match perfectly. Then he takes my M4 to the sandbox. I always wanted some real world testing.

HS1

Boat accident?!?!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:59:28 AM EDT
[#20]
That picture can't be real.  Every AK owner I know tells me that an AR won't operate when it is dirty.hinking.gif
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:04:59 AM EDT
[#21]
The unit the Doc is from is a reserve unit, activated and attached to II MEF for the war.  He is one of active component (Inspector-Instructor Staff) attached to the unit, to train and provide support to the reservists.

The Marine Corps bought a couple thousand EO-Techs for its M4A1s used in CQB as the NSN 1240-01-492-5264 HDS/ECOS.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:09:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks, Lumpy
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:10:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Never saw any Navy medical personnel serving with Army units, but the Air Force Forward air controllers always had cool gear!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:10:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Idwag:  what  fucking 'special events"
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:26:20 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
HK magazine and what looks like an home made tac latch.

I'm digging the 100 MPH tape.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:38:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:49:47 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Never saw any Navy medical personnel serving with Army units, but the Air Force Forward air controllers always had cool gear!

We got Corpsmen out here in NW Iraq - see 'em in the chowhall from time to time.  Not sure where they work or who with - but we have no Marines anywhere near here,  the MEF has the AO below us.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:53:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Is that a free float RAS?  Or is deemed cool now to mount optics on a non-free float...  Just wondering b/c my MI handguards lock up tight but I don't know if it's stable enough for an optic...
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:58:29 AM EDT
[#29]
That is the standard issue M4 RAS, no free floating and although most on this site would consider it a sin, its good enough for government work.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:11:41 AM EDT
[#30]

Good pic.

First time I have seen an absolute co-witness with a removable carry handle. I guess you do what works, and work with what you have.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:24:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Is that an issue charging handle latch?  Hard to make out, but I don't think it is standard.

ETA:  Almost looks like they welded a piece metal on it to extend it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:36:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Some NCO has obviously failed to communicate the importance of weapons maintenance.

He needs to clean his weapon.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:41:25 AM EDT
[#33]
One word for that photo.

---REAL---
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:56:12 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Some NCO has obviously failed to communicate the importance of weapons maintenance.

He is an NCO, and I'm quite sure he is well aware of the importance of a clean weapon. However, if you're opertating anywhere near a saltwater environment, a worn M4 can look like that in a matter of hours.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:09:16 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:39:40 PM EDT
[#36]
As has been point out the HM1 is an NCO (E6) and since he is serving with a Marine unit, he would be considered a SNCO.  Since he is a SARC (Special Amphibious Reconnaissance Corpsmen) and spent most of his time with the Marines I am sure he knows a bit about what it takes to keep his weapon up.

What is shocking is most troops know how to clean a weapon for an inspection, but not for serviceability.  Prior to the war, it was not unusual to have half a day or more of weapons cleaning on the schedule every week, no matter if the weapons hadn’t left the armory for months other than for cleaning.  This lead to the bad habit of troops scrubbing the finish off the weapons, which created the spiral of you now have to clean the weapon every week for preservation purposes.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:46:18 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Done any time in the sandbox? If you did you would know a weapon can look like that less than an hour after being cleaned. Especially if you're actually out there humping around as opposed to sitting on your ass in an FOB. Besides, riding in the back of a Hummer, which he is doing, will turn your weapon into a dust magnet in less than 10 minutes. If you're going to criticize, know what you're talking about first.........Sheeeesh...

ETA: To my fellow Doc: HOOYAH! GIT SOME!!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:49:53 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

great photo.

his Colt sling adapter is right where it should be- up front attached to the front sight base.  

I don't know that I see enough of a delta ring to call it a delta ring or a non-FF forend.  

someone's welding latches, that's for sure.  

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:58:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Standard delta ring holding a KAC RAS.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:30:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Lumpy, thanks, and keep posting the high-resolution photos of M4 carbines. For some reason, my computer cannot access the Army or Marine photos through their respective websites.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:40:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:45:16 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Lumpy, thanks, and keep posting the high-resolution photos of M4 carbines. For some reason, my computer cannot access the Army or Marine photos through their respective websites.

Are you on dial up?  Im on cable and they still load incredibly slow for me.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:01:53 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Are you on dial up?  Im on cable and they still load incredibly slow for me.

Yeah, I'm on dial-up (21K), but the problem is that when I go to a site like army.mil, for example, and click on the "images" tab. I get a webpage saying that the page cannot be displayed. It is some sort of setting on my computer (Windows XP) that is keeping my from accessing them, and I haven't been able to figure out how to rectify the situation.

I can see the high-res photos when you link to them like you did above, but no other way. I'd like to get a nice collection of high-res M4 carbine photos from Iraq and Afghanistan, but until I figure this out, I have to rely on posts such as yours.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:03:34 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm on wireless and it was pretty fast for me, not the site, sure of that.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:05:58 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Nope.  They provide medical care for the Navy and Marine Corps.  No one else.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:10:44 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

That's because you're on the list.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:28:00 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HS1

Boat accident?!?!

Yep, just like it sounds...Some people gotta learn the hard way, I guess.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:47:47 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Good pic.

First time I have seen an absolute co-witness with a removable carry handle. I guess you do what works, and work with what you have.

Actually, I have been seeing that combo quite a lot lately.
It gives hope to all of us A2 die-hards.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:05:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Sorry Lumpy, just seeing a RED X.

ETA: DUH, got the big picture - thanks. Was that link there last night?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:13:25 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Notice the HK mag. (at least I think it is with those markings)

Yeah, it is an HK mag, Lumpy pointed that out in his post.

[homer voice on] DoH!!!!!! [homer voice off]

sorry missed that part.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top