Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/2/2003 7:31:49 AM EDT
Hello all. I am considering buying my first AR in the near future and have found the info on this board most enlightining so far. I've got a question that I haven't seen discussed yet and can't find any info in a search:

Are all the parts in a similar gun from different manufacturers interchangable? ie - if I have two 20" rifles, one from colt, one from bushmaster could I swap parts from one to the other?

Thanks,

Matt
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:35:16 AM EDT
As long as you're not swapping some of the parts in the lower. Unless you have a small hole colt then everything would be interchangeable. Colt went with a Large hole making the traditional parts incompatible. If you're going to be swapping bolts make sure and check your headspace. Carriers should be fine, but watch with the bolts. I hope that helped
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 10:03:04 AM EDT
Your answer helps some, but I'm not quite clear on one thing. What exactly is the difference between a "large hole" and "small hole" Colt? Which hole is it you're referring to? Also, I cen't tell from your post which one can swap parts with other manufacturers - large or small hole? Thanks, Matt
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 10:22:07 AM EDT
Sorry if I confused you by my first post, I had just woken up. I'll try to make it a little more understandable. The rear take down pin on the Bushmaster should be a small hole which is mil-spec. But for some stupid reason Colt decided to start making their uppers and lowers to a different spec. They are larger. So any manufacturer parts will swap out as long as it's not a large hole Colt. Bushy parts will swap with Oly, Oly will swap with DPMS, DPMS will swap with RRA. As long as you don't have a large hole Colt you should be fine. I hope that clarified things.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 11:01:09 AM EDT
Perfectly clear now, thanks a lot.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 1:31:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/2/2003 1:31:59 PM EDT by Troy]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 3:32:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/6/2003 12:38:20 PM EDT by EladEflow]
I knew he'd come in and show me up [;D] I'm learning though [:)]
Top Top