Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2006 1:35:40 PM EDT
OK, I know it's a shortcut, but since I just bought my M4, I need to wait a while to get "real" rails.

I purchased these (store.botachtactical.com/taclm.html) for my Bushmaster M4A3 and they didn't fit as the holes did not line up.

I also purchased a TDI folding fore-grip and I'm anxious to use it!!

Does anyone make similar rails that DO fit the Bushmaster AR15's?  Should I expect more problems when trying to find accessories for my non-Colt M4gery?

http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/botach_1769_24743374.jpg
http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/botach_1884_4385699.jpg
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:39:00 PM EDT
[#1]
The rail is a bad place to cheap out, IMO.  I'd save the pennies and do it right, or use the mag well.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:59:49 PM EDT
[#2]
That said, any recommendations for "real" rails?  I would like to do it right the first time!

I really like the Bushmaster B.M.A.S. 4 Rail Split Handguard - www.bushmaster.com/shopping/bmas/yhm-9670.asp

They're a far cry from $10, though. hinking.gif

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/bmas/Images/yhm-9670.jpg
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:05:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:25:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I’ve been using the YHM rails since they first came out. I have no complaints.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:48:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:39:49 PM EDT
[#6]
With a 14.5" barrel, how much difference in accuracy would I actually see if I went with a full-float rail system instead of the 2-piece unit?  Would it really be worth the ~$100 difference?

I could see it making a bigger difference on an AR15 with the longer barrel...
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:59:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:07:33 AM EDT
[#8]
In that last photo, are you using the Eotech AND the iron sights simultaneously?  Or, do you ignore the iron sights and just use the Eotech?

Is the 7.0 M4 Free Float Handguard (Carbine) something that the average user can install themselves?  If so, I may just order that one from you instead.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:13:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:19:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Would you care to elaborate? hinking.gif

"The Samson is slightly cheaper"

You list the Samson at $259 and the DD at only $247...?

Does the installation of the DD require any special tools?  I take it the FSB shown on your M4 above is a removable version?  Or, do you remove it for installation of the DD and then re-install the original FSB?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:30:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:00:27 AM EDT
[#12]
To answer part of your original question, non-Colt parts will be fine!  

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:13:47 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
To answer part of your original question, non-Colt parts will be fine!  hr

Replacement parts only, I presume?  So far I'm 0-1 for add-on parts!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:32:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm sure I'll get smacked for this, but it's the truth...

Adding rails to your existing handguards is a sloppy idea.  Your handguards weren't designed for it.  They're too thin.

If all you want is a vertical foregrip, and you're not in the Navy SEALS or anything like that, there's not a single thing wrong with a set of FOBUS M33 handguards.  Don't pay full price for them though...  If you look around, you can find them for as little as $65 brand new, or for $50 or less used on the Equipment Exchange.

They are noticeable thicker than factory handguards, and they lock up tighter than factory handguards.  They don't wiggle and have slop (at least the two sets I've owned didn't).  Despite what you'll be told soon, they're not "crap" either.

You shouldn't use optics on them at all, and they're only good for lights and foregrips.  A TangoDown foregrip may not fit, but your TDI absolutely will.

Yankee Hill handguards ARE BETTER than the Fobus.  But they're more expensive and heavier.  Daniel Defense is better still, but even MORE expensive (and lighter).  In fact, they couldn't compare favorably to any aluminum railed forend, but hell, they're not aluminum!  What they are is a very nicely constructed set of HANDGUARDS.  They're fatter than carbines, slimmer than M4, and have rails that are lower in profile than bolting some on to your existing HG.

The question is, how much do YOU need?  I have owned 3 DD forends, and they're great.  I've also tried YHM, and PRI is next.  BUT I have this one particular carbine, a 16" Bushmaster superlight, that's designated for the wife and kids to shoot.  It has a pair of Fobus M33's on it (which weigh the same as the DD 7.0 without any rails) and it does the job it's intended to do.  I have a TDI short grip on it, and I can hold the rifle by the grip and the handguards don't move.  They don't flex, they don't bend etc.  I'm sure I could make them flex, but I'd have to be intentionally trying to break something at that point.  No amount of range use is going to break the Fobus or the TDI.

It all depends on what you NEED and how much you can AFFORD.  

But to answer your FIRST question... Bushmaster sells a bolt-on rails (made by Yankee Hill of course) that attach to your handguards and are inclined to match the taper of the handguards and make your rails parallel to the barrel.  I'd still rather have the Fobus instead.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top