Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/5/2003 12:45:23 PM EDT
Well I bought a rra 2 stage trigger  and now I am getting anxious about tackling the installation.  I need a pep talk and ..pointers from those of you that have installed this in a Bushmaster.  Any tips would be appreciated. I am an avid DYI guy and and all around handy man at home, but have not done rifle takedown to point of removal of stock trigger, etc...

So what's the scoop  is this an easy 10 minute drop in??
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 1:31:34 PM EDT
[#1]
It's quite simple, especially if you've stripped your trigger group down to all the small parts before.  Refer to the [url=http://www.ar15.com/content/docs/assembly/lower/]lower receiver assembly instructions[/url] if you aren't familiar with all the trigger group parts.

Essentially, all you have to do is remove your upper, hold the hammer back with your thumb to keep the tension on it, and drift out the hammer and trigger pins with a punch.  Then you just pull the old hammer, trigger, and disconnector out, and replace them with the new trigger and hammer.  The hardest part is keeping the hammer spring under pressure while tapping the pin back into place.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 2:21:52 PM EDT
[#2]
...  Thanks Terrato ,  I will read thru the info you suggested,  that along with the RRA instructions should help me become familiar with parts and process.  I plan on doing this trigger install as next rainy day project.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 6:55:41 PM EDT
[#3]
YEs, it's a 10 minute job

just pay attention to where the legs of the springs go
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 7:04:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Pins might be a little tight going in. This seems to be normal. Other than that, just follow Terrato's post. Piece of cake!
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 1:01:16 PM EDT
[#5]
It'll be much easier to install if you have an extra trigger pin that you can shorten to the the same width as the trigger assembly and use it as a slave pin.  A piece of drill rod of the same diameter will work also.  Pre-assemble the trigger assembly, slip it in and drive out the slave pin with the stock trigger pin.  Make sure the trigger pin is oriented the same direction as it came out.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 6:20:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Just completed the successful trigger installation.  Got to admit it took longer then 10 minutes!!! actually took 6 hrs. took 20 minutes to take down rifle, dismantle oem trigger, install new 2 stage trigger,,,, then I went to a party for 5 hours and got 1/2 smashed,,, sobered up and installed the hammer.

trick is to use the slave pin idea and it is much easier to install. keeping the hammer under tension and driving the new pins is touch to do .  I used the old pins as slave pin and tapped in new over size pins which come with rra 2 stage trigger set.  thanks to all for the feedback on how to install.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top