Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/22/2004 8:17:25 AM EST
Hello,

I have a 10.5" barrel which is custom made from a blank. The barrel is stainless steel. I would like to install a standard front sight post and refinish the barrel as close to mil-spec as possible. The gas tube isn't an issue since it's located inside the handguard. How the front sight posts are fastened to the barrel? Do I need some special tools? What are my options? I know some aftermarket gas blocks are easier to install than the standard A2 ones but I'd really like to have a standard one.

What is the best way to refinish the barrel so that the color looks right and it also stays? Needless to say the finish would need to tolerate quite high temperatures.

All help greatly appreciated!!!

Best.

Petri
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:40:43 AM EST
Come on, someone needs to know how it's done!!!
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:46:40 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/23/2004 6:48:37 AM EST by C_Sly]
Petri,

The front sight assembly is held on the barrel with two pins that go through the bottom of the barrel.

Brownells has the stuff to finish the barrel, or you can farm it out to a smith who can do a better job, for probably less money than aquiring all the need gear to do it yourself.

I don't know the leaglity of the 10.5 inch barrel. You may want to look in to that a little deeper. edit: Oops, I just saw that you are in Finland. 10.5 might be more legal there than here.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:53:45 AM EST
Since the installation of a front sight base requires drilling grooves in your barrel for the front sight base pins, I would take it to a gunsmith.
This can be a tricky job, the front sight base must be aligned so the sights are'nt canted. Unless you have the proper tools and skills, I would leave this operation to a professional.
A cheap finish would be hi-temperature spray paint......
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 12:12:07 AM EST
Thanks for the info.

What about PRI folding front sight? Does the barrel need to have those cuts for PRI sight as well?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:41:07 AM EST

Originally Posted By TheFlyingFinn:
Thanks for the info.

What about PRI folding front sight? Does the barrel need to have those cuts for PRI sight as well?

PRI has three different style of front flips. One mounts with setscrews. The other two mount with cross bolts. One of the cross bolt designs has the bolts pass through the barrel area and slots have to be machined into the barrel to accomodate this. The other type has the cross bolts completely under the barrel, so no barrel work is needed. If you buy a PRI, you must make sure to get the type with the cross bolts completely under the barrel. See the side by side below.

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:05:27 AM EST
Thanks!!!! I'll get that PRI sight then. Who has the best prices on these?

Thanks again.

Petri
Top Top