Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/9/2005 4:49:11 PM EDT
I sold a buddy of mine a Harris Bi-Pod I had on a 20" Bushie HBAR.

The small threaded bracket that fits inside the hand guards which the pivot pin gets threadeed into WILL NOT fit / slip by the heat shields on the inside of the M4 hand guards.

I myself would never put a Bi-Pod on a Colt M4, but my buddie wants that set up.

Solution is ???

Unglue the heat shields - install attachment pin then re-glue ?

Or is there a special M4 grip attachment I am unaware of ?

thanks in advance
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 10:57:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know!
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:53:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I took part an RRA M4 handgaurd once to install a GG&G M3 mount. It was pretty messy, but I got it back together. I slid the heatshields out of the glue spots and then slid them back it. They were a little loose so I glued them down with some RTV. Never had a problem after that.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:31:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I sold a buddy of mine a Harris Bi-Pod I had on a 20" Bushie HBAR.

The small threaded bracket that fits inside the hand guards which the pivot pin gets threadeed into WILL NOT fit / slip by the heat shields on the inside of the M4 hand guards.

I myself would never put a Bi-Pod on a Colt M4, but my buddie wants that set up.

Solution is ???

Unglue the heat shields - install attachment pin then re-glue ?

Or is there a special M4 grip attachment I am unaware of ?

thanks in advance

As I did, you can take a dremmel tool with a round metal cutting attachment.  Cut out a rectangle large enough for the Bi pod base to fit into the second shield area.  You only have to cut into the top shield.  Piece of cake.  It only takes two minutes and you preserve the two layer shield.  It will also look like a factory/professional mod.  It's a bit## to try to get the shield back in if you take it out.  IMHO
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 3:51:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Or. you can tap the inner shield down at the point where the shank of the mount bracket comes thru, which will give you enough thread poking thru the hole you've drilled to start the nut.  Then just keep tightening the nut until it doesn't go down any further.  

Yes, it will deform the inner shield; but so what. It works.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:09:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Get real Colt M4 handguards.

Colt M4 handguard inner and outer heatshields are held in place by integral tabs that fit in to slots in the handguards. This removeablity is a design feature that's also necessary for the early AN/PAQ-4 barrel clamp mount.

A slight squeeze and the inner and outer heatshields pop out. Install the No. 5 Harris adapter, then reinstall the heatshields.

I did this to an M6731 upper I resurrected as a load test upper. Wanted to mount a bipod and all I had were a pair of Colt take-offs from a 6921 conversion upper at the time.

Since then I've replaced the M4 handguards with a free-float set up.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top