Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2005 4:26:31 AM EDT
Could someone tell me if i'm gonna have any diffuculty removing the standard stock handguard from my Bushamster M4 type and istalling a KAC RAS, carbine length?? I haven't really messed with the gun all too much, I think i'll be able to wing it, just not too familiar with the way they are put together...??
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 6:18:51 AM EDT
[#1]
The stock handguards can be tough to pull off (with only two hands.)  Be careful not to scratch delta ring!
This is accomplished by pulling delta ring rearward under spring tension(exposing rear end of handguard) and removing the two handguard halves one at a time (rotate rear end up and away from barrel nut/ delta ring.)
There is a tool avail. to make this more of a one man job.
Follow the installation instructions provided with RAS (it is VERY easy to scratch delta ring during installation, be careful.) Also, make sure tensioner on top front of RAS goes UNDER handguard cap during installation.
All in all a simple job made much easier with an extra set of hands. Hope this helps, good luck.    -Al
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 11:31:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Take a couple minutes and tape off your delta ring, it can save you alot of aggravation later.
As noted, make sure the tensioner on top goes under the front hanguard cap.
Make sure the fork at the rear is fully lowered, stradle's the gas tube and slips under the barrel nut
Then tighten up the hex screw at the back.
The lower piece just slips in normally.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 12:06:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Remember if you scratch the delta ring, the weapon will be inoperative.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 1:28:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok thanks! I got the stock handguard off (fairly easy even doing alone) and am going to install the KAC when it arrives. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 1:35:09 PM EDT
[#5]
When I installed my KAC RAS, the handguard removal tool was great.

When using this tool, removal and installation of any handguards are very easy.

I got my tool from Denny at Global Tactical Supply but they are also available at ADCO and other gun tool suppliers.

Global Tactical Supply website link

ADCO Firearms website link
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 11:40:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I made my own, got plans/blueprints from Maryland AR15 Shooters site annd using scrap metal rod and old hose total cost $00.00 took about 30 mins to build.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 2:54:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

You damn right !

I find that if you completely remove the screw from the fork that clamps onto the gas tube, it will make installation much easier.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 4:20:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Could someone tell me if i'm gonna have any diffuculty removing the standard stock handguard from my Bushamster M4 type and istalling a KAC RAS, carbine length??

Ok thanks! I got the stock handguard off (fairly easy even doing alone)

Figuring out how to do it is simple. Getting the handguards off was probably easier than getting the RAS on will be. New rifle, tight slip ring, one person, two hands, no tools = good luck buddy.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 1:17:16 PM EDT
[#9]
When I installed my M5 RAS, I had four hands to help me. My Dad helped. THANKS POP.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 3:18:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You damn right !

I find that if you completely remove the screw from the fork that clamps onto the gas tube, it will make installation much easier.

"much easier"...?  It is the only way our (KAC) RAS will install.  That rear screw MUST be removed and the "fork" hanging down as you lower the upper RAS down to the barrel nut.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top