Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/8/2004 5:19:25 AM EDT
I installed an A2 stock on my lower last night and I can't seem to get it tight. It seems to have a bit of twisting movement. Is this normal? I tried to tighten the screw that goes into the buffer tube as much as possible, but the twist was still there. Did I miss something? TIA
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:26:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Check here and see: www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/, lower portion of text....

Mike
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:29:43 AM EDT
[#2]
It looks like I've done everything correctly. I just didn't think there should be movement in the stock. Is the movement normal?

Taken from that article:
"Carefully compress the spring with the stock and secure the stock in place with the self-locking screw.
Insert stock screw from rear into stock. "

Are there two screws to secure the stock or just one in the back?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:38:21 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It looks like I've done everything correctly. I just didn't think there should be movement in the stock. Is the movement normal?

Movement is not normal. If you have the correct length screw and spacer, then you haven't tightened it enough. Take the buttstock off the receiver extension and thread the screw into it 5-6 times. Each time going a little deeper, thus reducing the resistance of the red/blue/yellow thread locking agent. Then try assembling the stock again.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:58:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Or the buffer tube ain't tight....... and check to make certain the little button (mating end below buffer tube hole) on A2 stock is fitting properly into the lower receiver detent, (careful don't bend or lose that takedown retaining pin spring).

Mike
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:14:50 AM EDT
[#5]
And make sure you arent missing the spacer.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:19:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
And make sure you arent missing the spacer.

I'll bet he is
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:16:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got the tiniest bit of twist in mine too and it's been tightened to the point I am afraid something will break.  I'm going to try to fix that right now though.

ETA: Got it fixed.  Had to tighten it just a hair more.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 2:46:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I haven't had this problem on A2 stocks on newer lowers, but I had a similar problem when trying to replace the A1 stock on my Colt SP1 with a recent production A2 stock.  With everything tightened up, the stock still didn't seat quite all the way against the rear of the lower receiver (and yes, I did remove the spacer).

I solved it by not solving it.  I just put the A1 stock back on and left it at that for now.  At some point in the future I will try again.  I may have to turn the buffer tube into the receiver a little more, or shave a tiny amount off the rear of the buffer tube.

Good luck.

P.S.  The A2 stock should tighten against the lower receiver even with the spacer missing (if the butt screw is long enough to reach the buffer tube.  And it certainly should be long enough since it just extends through the spacer anyway).  The spacer just prevents severe overtightening.

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:04:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey guys, the spacer was in.  hat
Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:14:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

P.S.  The A2 stock should tighten against the lower receiver even with the spacer missing (if the butt screw is long enough to reach the buffer tube.  And it certainly should be long enough since it just extends through the spacer anyway).  The spacer just prevents severe overtightening.

Where did you get the idea that you don't use a spacer when putting an A2 stock on ANY variety of AR??? The back end of an SP! lower is exactly the same as on later types, so why wouldn't you use the spacer?

If you did it to correct a poor fit of the stock. then you bought an out of spec stock
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:52:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I may not have been clear in my post about the stock spacer.

I am not claiming that you shouldn't use the spacer.  Obviously, you should use it.  I always do.

FALARAK originally said to check that the spacer wasn't missing.  I just tried to point out that the A2 stock should tighten whether the spacer is missing or not.  I didn't mean to imply that the spacer shouldn't be used with the A2 stock.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top