Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2005 8:15:57 PM EDT
Before I spend the money, how do you feel about OTIS products?
Thanks in advance
Icon
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:23:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Most people will tell you it is the best thing going.  I fall more in the category of it doing an acceptable job, but nothing spectacular that a issue kit couldn't also accomplish. However it focuses on the one the least import aspect of weapons cleaning for a service weapon with current issue ammo, the bore, and not the action parts.  

For some reason the common complaint about the issue kit is no seems figured out how drop the rod through the breach of a shotgunned rifle to clean it (as per the 10 manual) and hence the need for a pull through cord.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:41:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I really like it.  I actually use a combination of rod/bore guide and otis.  I will use the rod, with a stop mark and bore guide for working with a bore mop and bore brush but anything that exits the muzzle crown 100% will be via the otis.  The otis also makes a WONDERFUL field cleaning device.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:51:19 PM EDT
[#3]
the otis kit is all i use
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:08:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I perfer using a boresnake.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:29:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Great for in-field use.

myit
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:12:22 AM EDT
[#6]
boresnakes fail where OTIS excels in the department of disposable patches.
The boresnake is great until you have to wash it off or the brush wears out.

I use the OTIS for my AR-15 and Vepr, but I didn't bother to buy the 8" cable for my Glock. LUCKILY Glock includes a rinky dink plastic patch holder that works for my intended purpose. I soak my Glock barrel in Slip 2000 Carbon Cutter for 24 hours and 2 patches will remove whatever carbon is left.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:51:35 AM EDT
[#7]
+1 on the otis being a way better option than a boresnake.

i used boresnakes before the otis and for the price of two boresnakes i got a otis kit that did pretty much anything
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:06:05 AM EDT
[#8]
otis is great thier patches form a tight fit to ride the lands and groves of your barrel. the gov kit has sharp edges here and thier that can damage your barrel, the gov patches pale compared to the otis patches and the gov eyelet bends real easy which can damage your barrel if you use it bent, gotta be a moron to do that but i have seen it all the time where i work
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:50:44 PM EDT
[#9]
STRLN is spot on
It amazes me how every poster raves about how well/easy otis and boresnakes clean the barrel!!!!

The barrel is the easiest part to clean and the least critical part to keeping an
AR running......

Wholly Criminy,You can dump 2K rds dwn one and never have to touch the barrel!!!!

its the Chamber and the reciever and bolt carrier that need the Cleaning. and I can't see the boresnake doing that or the otis very well.

Stick with GI cleaning kits and arm your self with a little knowledge and less with technology....
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:00:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
STRLN is spot on
It amazes me how every poster raves about how well/easy otis and boresnakes clean the barrel!!!!

The barrel is the easiest part to clean and the least critical part to keeping an
AR running......

Wholly Criminy,You can dump 2K rds dwn one and never have to touch the barrel!!!!

its the Chamber and the reciever and bolt carrier that need the Cleaning. and I can't see the boresnake doing that or the otis very well.

Stick with GI cleaning kits and arm your self with a little knowledge and less with technology....

the otis kit is like an updated gi kit.

if you get the ar15 kit it comes with the sectioned rods, brushes and what not along with the cable,patches,and patch holders so i dont see where the gi kit would be better than the otis.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:13:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
[the otis kit is like an updated gi kit.

if you get the ar15 kit it comes with the sectioned rods, brushes and what not along with the cable,patches,and patch holders so i dont see where the gi kit would be better than the otis.

The Otis kit is mostly a 1 for 1 replacement, however it costs about 2 1/2 times more than the GI kit.  It's handier since it can be made smaller, and for those of use with a carbine, it's convenient.  However, I don't trust it for the emergency removal of an stuck expended case. Also as has been seen by many of us issued with them, the zippers on the round pouches breaks, the parts are small and often get lost and the patches can be hard to get.  

I have to give them credit, they have allot of people sold, they have an awesome PR/Advertising campaign, they are the BHI of gun cleaning.

This 1/2 lb. cleaning system replaces over 3 lbs. of conventional gear and fits into the stock of the weapon. With the flexible cleaning rod it is only possible to clean correctly, from breech to muzzle. The receiver, locking lugs, chamber, shoulder and neck can easily be cleaned. Bore obstructions, mud or snow, can be dislodged out the muzzle end. A stuck empty case or bullet lodged in the neck can be easily knocked out.

I have never been issued a 3 pound cleaning kit for rifle or pistol in my life and by the sound of their ad I guess I am the only one in the military who has figured out how to clean by pulling the rod through vice pushing.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:22:20 AM EDT
[#12]
i paid close to $40 for my otis kit and it does

.177- .50
and has 12ga brushes and jags

pistol and rifles

comes with three different cables for pistols, rifles, and pellet/.22lr semi

it does basically every caliber there is.

so it offers more than the usgi kit but if you break it down i actually paid much less than the cost of the gi kit.

$40 for the whole shebang and all i needed was a portion of it for my ar

it cleans everything i own
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:07:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I have the otis elite kit and its nice and expensive too.   However I can honestly say I use a Dewey rod, patches and solvent 100% of the time and wished I would have saved the cash for other things, like ammo,
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:36:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Agree on the OTIS elite being all you need for all calibres and comes out cheaper.  GI kit sucks as much as any but completely useable.  I certainly dont see where the GI kit does much for the action, etc.  THe only difference between the two is one has a cable and the other a bunch of rods you have to screw together.  BTW, screw buying patches.  I make my own with Tshirt material or cheap muzzle loader patches.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:46:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Almost no kit out there specifically addresses cleaning of the action.  The only thing you need for that is solvent, an AP brush and towel to wipe it off afterward.  If you have a weapon with odd type chamber, ARs specifically, than you somewhat need a brush to clean that also.  I guess my whole point is the Otis kits are built around one thing  do one thing clean the bore.  Which, it does to an acceptable level, but I wouldn't say too much better or worse than most kits out there.  If you like to have 1 kit that does it all than, it may be ideal for you.  I am personally of the opinion that they fall much into the same category as BHI, they make an acceptable product and than market the hell out of it, because of the marketing it tends to be what most guys get or most supply officers order.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:19:48 PM EDT
[#16]
originally from Horik

I certainly dont see where the GI kit does much for the action, etc. THe only difference between the two is one has a cable and the other a bunch of rods you have to screw together.

How about this
You use a section of the rod with the chamber brush and are able to insert the chamber brush and rotate it to clean the inside of the chamber. try doing that with a cable.

You also do the same thing for the inside of the Bolt carrier where carbon build up. again, I can imagine not that easy with a cable

Another advantage is clearing the bore of obstructions. Every see a barrel take a nose dive in the ground and get about 4-6 inches of mud impacted up the barrel. Try getting that out with a cable or boresnake. and also if a Bullet from a squib load gets lodged halfway down the barrel. Now I relize that for the range you can just pack up and go home and use a 1 piece rod to clear out your bore.  But you asked  what the difference is.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:38:52 AM EDT
[#17]
the kit i got came with two sections of brass rod for chamber cleaner and such.

there is also a shorter cable which could also be used to clean the chamber and the rep even demonstrated it and he didnt seem to have much a problem over the solid rod, though harder than the solid he was still able to do it with the cable.

i myself have not tried since i know the rod will be easier but i think i will try it an a bit when i go clean my rifle and check back.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:00:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
originally from Horik

I certainly dont see where the GI kit does much for the action, etc. THe only difference between the two is one has a cable and the other a bunch of rods you have to screw together.

How about this
You use a section of the rod with the chamber brush and are able to insert the chamber brush and rotate it to clean the inside of the chamber. try doing that with a cable.

You also do the same thing for the inside of the Bolt carrier where carbon build up. again, I can imagine not that easy with a cable

Another advantage is clearing the bore of obstructions. Every see a barrel take a nose dive in the ground and get about 4-6 inches of mud impacted up the barrel. Try getting that out with a cable or boresnake. and also if a Bullet from a squib load gets lodged halfway down the barrel. Now I relize that for the range you can just pack up and go home and use a 1 piece rod to clear out your bore.  But you asked  what the difference is.

The OTIS M16 kit comes with a borebrush and rod.  I dont know where your getting using the cable for that from.  Anyway, I do agree that dislodging a squib, etc. is less desireable with the otis but it works.  No, it doesnt come out as easy as a rod but it works.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:13:26 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The OTIS M16 kit comes with a borebrush and rod.  I dont know where your getting using the cable for that from.  Anyway, I do agree that dislodging a squib, etc. is less desireable with the otis but it works.  No, it doesnt come out as easy as a rod but it works.

I have saw their instruction on how to remove an obstruction, all I can say is I don't think it will work with a squib or a stuck case, ala mis-sized round or a torn rim.  The flex rod just won't transmit that kind of force, since often this means using a helmet to hammer the round out, I don't think their repeated tapping approach would work for anything heavy duty.  
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top