Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/1/2005 6:47:43 PM EDT
I have been looking at buying my first AR for about 2 months now. I've been to all the close gun shops and have done my fair share of fondling. I'm mainly looking for just a plinker gun but it might see some hunting use. I have lurked and read many of the forums on here. I have about $800 maybe a tish more if I use to spend on one. I was looking at Oly Arms but have seen a few threads lately knocking them.

I want a tele-stock, threaded muzzle, and bayonet lug. Call me picky but I want it pre-ban. Eventually I would like to add railed handguards but don't have the extra money to spend right now with tuition and all. Eventually I would like to add a holographic site so I have looked more at the A3 tops with removeable handle. The handle would provide the intial sites until I can put the money into a scope or holo sites. As well, I could just get an A2 top and later get the adapter to mount sites on top of it. Any input on this?

There was a bushy at the local shop for $830 after taxes with the telescoping stock and A2 top. That would probably be my upper limit and I've heard nothing but good about them. For relatively the same price though I could get the Oly Arms K3B M4 A-3 in 5.56 for $790 pre-transfer with the detachable handle?

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:09:37 PM EDT
Read the other tread above this one and it will probably answer all your questions and then some
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:10:09 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:10:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/1/2005 7:12:59 PM EDT by Aimless]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:10:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/1/2005 7:11:38 PM EDT by model927]
Go for the Bushy great value out of the box.KISS keep it simple stupid principal...A2 is great as a start get a good stock carbine,good mags and ammo.A tactical carbine class is good because you can see and try other peoples gadgets to what works and what does not without spending money on stuff that may later on collect dust.Learn the rifle with its stock sights and master it...after you can start getting into gadgets.I have all A2s I use a gooseneck mount for my aimpoint and M4 normal handguards with a rail for a fore grip as thats the only add on I use besides the aimpoint.If all you want to add is the fore grip dont go spend $300 on the same rail our military uses its a waste just to be used for that purpose.Yankee hill machine and tool for $120 makes a set of railed guards that fit on just like the plastic ones and are rock solid so you can even mount the sight on the top rail if you wish.If not you can add a rail to the regular bottom guard and mount a fore grip.So I say get a Bushy for that money,mags and ammo.Take a class and master your carbine shooting with irons and learn to maintain it to keep it running and worrie about the other goodies later.Like I said taking a class will expose you to things others use like lights,rails ect and you can go from there.Oh and welcome to the board and black rifle disease..your first wont be your last
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:19:17 PM EDT
For you price range I would look at the 2005 SEBR Its a great rifle that you can add to later.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:22:59 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:26:52 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:28:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:28:55 PM EDT
AIMSurplus has Bushmaster carbines in A3 configuration for $800 shipped. Sounds good to me for right out of the box....
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:49:31 PM EDT
The front sight tower annoys me. You may want to consider an upper with no front sight tower. It will save you from removing it later when you get your ACOG.

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:28:20 PM EDT
I want a tele-stock, threaded muzzle, and bayonet lug. Call me picky but I want it pre-ban. Eventually I would like to add railed handguards but don't have the extra money to spend right now with tuition and all. Eventually I would like to add a holographic site so I have looked more at the A3 tops with removeable handle. The handle would provide the intial sites until I can put the money into a scope or holo sites. As well, I could just get an A2 top and later get the adapter to mount sites on top of it. Any input on this?

Telestock is nice, I like them, and have them on all but one of my AR's, which is built on a Cavalry Arms lower. The rest are telestocks.

Threaded muzzle is fine, and with the AWB gone, and if there are no state laws forbidding, by all means get it. The bayonet lug, I just see no use it in, sorry. Galls me to be told I could not have it, but if it is there, fine, if not, so? I certainly would not go to any expense to put on another front sight base. And as far as SILVER SOLDERING on a bayo lug??? You MUST be kidding??? What a waste of time and money. Bump it and it'll fall off. Certainly never withstand using an actual bayonet. About as much a performance enhancer as spinners on a car.

If you intend to put any other optics on, you do want a flattop.

ALL of my rifles now have flattops.
Top Top